Will you consider to buy Ipad Pro 12.9 Instead of the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cibonak, Oct 27, 2016.

1. cibonak, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

cibonak macrumors regular

cibonak

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

No happy with my 2015 MacBook Pro. It's not a fair comparison as the pro doesn't do things a laptop can.

3. Reidan macrumors member

I already have an iPad Pro 12.9 with Cellular and Maxed Storage. I love it. I also have a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina with 512 GB and 16 GB of RAM. My MacBook is my personal laptop. My iPad is provided by work. (My work laptop is a Dell) I use the iPad a lot more than my MacBook or the Dell. Nothing I have seen today makes me want to trade either of them in on a new MacBook.

4. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

For what I want and need a computer to do, the MacBook Pro and iPad Pro are simply too different. I still need my computer to run desktop applications, and I type enough on my computer that I want a stable platform to do it on. Was I surprised at the new MacBook Pros' prices this morning? Yes, but that didn't stop me from ordering one, because it's what I need from a new computer.

5. jerryk macrumors 68020

Nope. Need shell and full file structure.

6. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I feel more freedom inside a Mac than an iPad.

Inside an iPad, I feel as if I'm wearing a straitjacket.

7. exexs macrumors member

To be honest since I got my iPad Pro I use it 90% of the time when I'm home. Way more convenient to go to bed with my iPad or in front of the TV while browsing. I only use my macbook pro for professional content and for heavy writing/emailing. If you have any laptop already I would consider buying iPad as your main device.

8. Mr_Killjoy Suspended

Mr_Killjoy

Already converted to an iPad Pro as my main device. While the new MBP prices are ridiculous in my opinion, I'm happy to see I'll still get solid market value for my 15" 2016 Pro. When I sell it in the next week or two.

9. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Not buying the MBP, but if I was shopping for a new system, then I'd pick the MBP out of the two. iPad Pro is a toy, and it will be a toy for many years to come. I can't imagine doing much real world work on it no matter how much smoke Apple tries to blow up everyone's asses. Even the Surface Pro can compare to a real laptop, while iPad is limited in what it can do.

10. Macalway macrumors 68000

I'm not sure how you can even equate these.......dunno

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Sold my mid 2014 MacBook Pro and got a 12 inch iPad Pro, and boy am I happy I did. Those prices for the new MacBook Pro are ridiculous and for what I use my computer for, the iPad Pro is good enough, and I save a Ton of money on top of it.

12. Reidan macrumors member

I am a Systems Admin for a large retail chain. For those that say an iPad Pro can not be used for real work, you are not thinking outside the box! As I said in my earlier post in this thread, I use my iPad Pro for work more than my laptop.

All of my iPads have cellular service. I have the iPad Pro 12.9" I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, and I also have an iPad Mini 4. The iPad Pro is absolutely wonderful, but its size makes it hard to take everywhere I go. The mini is small enough to hold in hand, or even squeeze it into a pocket. (I am 6'6", so I am a big guy. It is a tight fit, but it fits.)

When in the office I use wifi, when out of the office I use Cellular and VPN. No matter where I am at, using remote tools, such as VNC and RDP I can login to my servers and have full control. The Microsoft RDP Client is the best one out there. It allows you to emulate full mouse control and the Apple Pencil gives precise mouse control, or use finger touch. With the large 12.9" Display, and the ability to zoom in and out, gives a good amount of real estate for seeing things.

Yes, the iPad is not powerful enough to do a lot of functions. But, my servers, my work desktop, RDS and VDI Sessions, Web Tools, etc, are. My iPad is just a thin client that allows me to access the more powerful devices and tools from anywhere.

Is an iPad good for all use cases? No, was never meant to be. That is why I also have a laptop. But, it handles a lot of them. Just need to think outside the box on how you use it.

Now, this thread is about iPad Pro 12.9" versus the new MacBook Pro. If I did not have an iPad Pro or my personal MacBook Pro and was in the market for a new device. Then I might be tempted to go ahead and get the new MacBook. And if I could only have one, then the MacBook Pro would be a No Brainer!!

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

No.

An iOS tablet can never really replace desktop computing for me. Like wasting money on Chromebooks which have apps that are web-based. For around the same price, rather get another MacBook Air or the new Surface Pro 4. The point in having a desktop is to have those ports to recognize my files while iOS is more for media consumption, portability, and leisure.

Not trying to always throw shade at iOS since I do own an iPad and might get an iPad mini 4 but iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks each have their own specific purpose for me. That’s like having a TV, video game console, laundry machine, Amazon Echo, and whatever is in the house. I don't mind the convergence and jack of all trades master of none stuff. But each have a specific talent to use similar to using a screwdriver and hammer.

14. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

If I were at the point where I was deciding whether to get an iPad Pro vs a Macbook Pro, I would get a Surface Book. It's cheaper, has better graphics when used in laptop mode, and is just cheaper (even though the price tag is 2700). 16 hours of battery life too. 16 HOURS.

iPad Pro is just a tablet device and just doesn't have as much flexibility as a desktop/notebook.

15. fxbeta macrumors member

fxbeta

I have the 12.9 iPad Pro and while it is great for drawing, sketching, and reading books, it's no substitute for a general purpose laptop. But it ultimately depends on what you are using your devices for.

16. cibonak thread starter macrumors regular

cibonak

16 hours of cideo though

17. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

18. Phil A., Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you use RDP a lot, have a look at Jump Desktop - I switched to it from Microsoft RDP and find it much better: It fully supports RD Gateways and combines RDP and VNC in a single client. It also handles the translation between the mac and PC keyboard really well and syncs across iCloud so all your connections are available on all your devices

On top of that, you can even pair a Citrix or Swiftpoint mouse to your iPad and get mouse support on RDP connections! (I've not tried it yet, but I understand it works really well)

19. cibonak thread starter macrumors regular

cibonak

20. HellasLEAF macrumors member

HellasLEAF

NAY.

Nay to ALL iPads for me.

No real keyboard and there is nothing comfortable about holding a screen in your hands on a couch, or in your bed. Don't care how light and thin it is. But that's me. Phone can do all that. iPhone and MBP is all a man should need.