Will you repair an old 20" ACD, or will you buy a new e.g. Dell?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by qti, Mar 17, 2010.

1. qti macrumors newbie

I have an old 20" Apple cinema display (acryllic) which I have been using since 2003. A couple of months ago the upper half of the display went dim. Unplugging and re-plugging the cables made it work only for about a month. From my net research it appears that it is possible that the problem can be fixed by replacing an inverter, which doesn't seem to be very difficult. However I am no technician and there is no guarantee that it is the only problem. Replacing the inverter may have to cost me about $140. It seems stupid to take a risk of wasting the money, having to do all the work myself (and I have never dismantled a display before) and there's no guarantee that the 7 year old display can be fixed this way, or will not go bad again for this or other problems in the near future, especially when a brand new 22" Dell ultrasharp does not really cost a lot more than. However compared with a Dell I still like this screen very much. I already have a 24" :apple: LED so this will only be a second display.

If you were me, will you try to fix it or just buy a new Dell? I guess there's no right or wrong answer, but I am interested in what people would personally prefer.

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I'd likely do both. It's an old monitor and this seems like a sign that it might be time to upgrade. Buy a nice big new monitor and enjoy it. After you get the new monitor, come up with some cash and fix your ACD, then sell it. Best of both worlds.