Will you set up as new phone or restore from back-up for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 17, 2012.

?

Will you set up as new phone or restore from back-up?

1. Set up as new phone

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Restore from iCloud back-up

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

2. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I will be restoring from a backup so that I don't lose all my photos, videos, app data, etc.

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Hmmm, let me think, do I want to lose all the information I've accumulated over the past 2+ years or do I want to keep it? Lemme think about that one.

4. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

set up as new in order to avoid battery problems. Nearly all of my data is in the cloud anyways so those apps will put it back down.

7. 96whitels macrumors member

96whitels

8. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Surprised there's no option for it... Setting up from an iTunes backup! iCloud will probably take waaaaaaaaaaayyy too long.

10. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Set up as new. But I'm not superstitious though!

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'm not sure! I kind of want to do a mix of sorts.

I've been restoring all my iOS devices from backup for every single iOS update and device I've had. Since my 2nd gen iPod touch from 2.2.1 to 3.0 to my iPhone 4 on iOS 6. So basically my backup is about four years old! This time around I think I want to setup my iPhone 5 as a new device. There's just so much stuff on it and old jailbreak data. I've probably jailbroken a good four times at least and I'm sure there's old plist files and maybe even more beyond that. Hell, under location services there's even a weird option without an icon that says "AssistantServices.fra..."

ANYWAY, to the point of this, is there anyway I could do a partial backup of sorts? I want to be able to keep all my text messages, photos in camera roll, and contacts. I heard that Photo Stream will help me with my pictures problem? But won't the pictures be in a folder titled "Photo Stream" and be deleted from my iPhone 5 once they're deleted from my iPhone 4 (in this case once my iPhone is restored and sold)? And onto the contacts, are they all stored in iCloud so if I setup as new I'd pull them all once I signed into my iCloud account?

Please give your advice or any first hand experience or ideas. I don't even have anything to go on for the texts. Dx

12. Mos Jeff macrumors newbie

I have a couple questions that I really hope someone can help me with and I apologize if they've been asked before. First, I've read that if I setup as new, I can then login to iCloud on my new phone and sync my contacts. I just want to be sure that this method works as I don't want to risk losing my contacts. Also, as far as redownlading apps. Do I need to redownload each app individually or can I sync with the current apps I have in my iTunes library? I'm not sure how this works, or of those apps in my library will even still be there once I setup as new. I appreciate any help. Thanks.