Will you set up your new phone "as new" or will you restore from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nandopr, Sep 15, 2012.

?

Will you set up your new phone "as new" or will you restore from backup?

1. Restore from back up.

313 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Set up as new

283 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Not sure

96 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. nandopr macrumors regular

nandopr

I am just curious. I would also like to know is there is a benefit selecting one over the other.

Thanks

2. NightCastle macrumors member

I'm planning on restoring from a backup. I've spent too long getting all my stuff setup and organized (read: apps, not playlists or contacts).

3. renesandy macrumors regular

renesandy

I haven't decided yet, honestly. My current back up has 2.1 GB of "OTHER". :confused:

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

Always as new

I had home button problems from backup

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Probably as new, I usually restore from backups but they'll be quite old now with lots of crap in them!

Just going to sync apps that are updated for the new screen, too. Bit OCD like that.

6. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Can someone advise me on what to do?

iPhone 4 was jailbroken. I only installed a tethering app to try it out and then I realized I never used it again. I then restored from that backup and I am now backing up using that same load, just not jailbroken this time.

Will I be OK to restore my iPhone 5 from the previously-jailbroken iPhone 4 backup?

All through iCloud, FYI.

7. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Setup as New as restores might carry over crap you don't need. I backup my photos, apps are fresh install and though i might lose games scores not a biggy honestly. Kind of like spring cleaning, start fresh.

8. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Set up as new. I like the feeling of a fresh new start on my brand new phone. :)

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'll probably restore from backup only because of contacts and pictures. Though I might do it from new if I can figure out how to keep those two things. Are my contacts saved to iCloud to where if I setup as a new phone I'd still have them all? And my question about pictures will be directed to the person I'm quoting in this, but please feel free to answer it if you also have a solution.

Can you backup your photos somehow to where they're still in "Camera Roll" or do you pull them from the file system and sync them?

EDIT: I also want to be able to setup as new, but keep all my old text messages.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I wonder if the new iCloud feature will keep my Infinity Blade savegames. If so, I'm setting up as new. Too much crap on my 4S...

11. iCalifornia macrumors newbie

im sort of wondering the same. is it possible to set up as new and selectively import certain aspects of the backup such ad text message history, etc?

12. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Well with iOS 5 and 6 they are in the "Photostream" but that doesn't include videos. I only make a personal backup of my photos because of "What if" and that also includes videos.

13. CH34P3T macrumors regular

As new. I don't want any unnecessary jailbreak files transferring over.

14. SCOfoshO macrumors member

ALL OF THIS....

I have a new computer and my current phone (iPhone 4) was never synced to it. If I did decide to restore from backup would I even get everything transferred over? I am mainly concerned with my pictures, texts, and some of that is stored in an app made for secrecy

15. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I have so much crap on my 3GS that I'm considering just starting "new".

So does itunes ask you if you would like to use backup or start as new when you plug the phone in? Just curious, I don't want to accidently start a backup that was not intended.

Should I turn anything off or on before plugging in?

16. iParis, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

When you restore from backup you keep all your pictures, texts, most app data, and a bunch of other things.

17. RxMac macrumors 6502

New because I've read and heard from geniuses that the backups could contain corrupt files that can affect battery life.

18. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I would prefer to do "as new" but I need all of my old texts. I reference them so frequently. I also have a few apps with app data that would be difficult to restore.

19. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

But won't the pictures be in a folder titled "Photo Stream" and be deleted from my iPhone 5 once they're deleted from my iPhone 4 (in this case once my iPhone is restored and sold)?

Oh, and I too keep a personal backup, but that's to have on my computer.

20. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Probably just restore from back up, why would anyone want to set it up as new unless they had plenty of useless crap on their last one, its not like this is a windows pc, setting it up as new is not gonna make it faster :p

21. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

For some reasons I seem to remember that the photostream is linked to your account and not the device as I seen my iphones photostream on my iPad, even after selling it. Maybe I wrong though. I did have my photos deleted from the photostream before and not sure why that happen hence why I back them up myself.

22. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You don't know that. Have you used a 4 year old backup? Depending on how heavily that backup has been used, how many times it's been jailbroken, and how adventurous and creative that user (me) was with Cydia, restoring from it could cause poor battery life and not as up to par performance. Even if you were careful with what and how much you installed from Cydia, like I was, there's still going to be a lot of old .plist and other files, especially after 4 years.

23. Boiler macrumors regular

Ways new

Heard genius say restore from prev gen backup can affect cell signal, battery, home but, etc

24. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I was assuming that the phone wasn't jailbroken

25. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I hate syncing apps through iTunes, trying to remember what apps I had and didn't have. I'm not worried about app data, I just hate dealing with syncing apps. That's the only reason I would restore from backup.