Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you willing to wait longer than September for the larger 5.5" iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 49 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 48.4%

• Total voters

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
For those of you who are contemplating getting the 5.5" model (or "iPhone Air"), do you want it badly enough that you are willing to wait a few extra months for it? Or will you settle for the 4.7" model?

This is assuming the 5.5" model is released 1-6 months after the 4.7" model is released this September.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
For those of you who are contemplating getting the 5.5" model (or "iPhone Air"), do you want it badly enough that you are willing to wait a few extra months for it? Or will you settle for the 4.7" model?

This is assuming the 5.5" model is released 1-6 months after the 4.7" model is released this September.

I think Apple will announce both the 4.7" and the 5.5" at the same September event, however they may say that the 5.5" will be available to be buy a month or two later. With only the 4.7" being available straight away.

Anyway personally I would wait for the 5.5" so I can see both the 4.7" and the 5.5" together. Mainly to see how different they will be from each other. Will only one of them have the saphire screen, will only one of then have a 128GB and so on.

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority...

I currently have a Droid Razr Maxx (a few years old now), and I'm tossing around the idea of switching to an iPhone. I just can't get into the "phablet" concept... I don't do any video watching or anything... I use my phone as a phone... sometimes email, but mainly a calendar that syncs with my wife. I like having a smaller phone I can fit easily into my pocket.

--rob

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority...

I currently have a Droid Razr Maxx (a few years old now), and I'm tossing around the idea of switching to an iPhone. I just can't get into the "phablet" concept... I don't do any video watching or anything... I use my phone as a phone... sometimes email, but mainly a calendar that syncs with my wife. I like having a smaller phone I can fit easily into my pocket.

--rob

I wouldn't say you are the minority due to a lot of poll on this forum.

I feel a 4.7" model would be perfect for me. I like the idea of a 5.5" when in use but not in my pocket or on a belt clip where it spends the majority of it's time.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Conceptually, I like the idea of a 5.5 as my aging eyes would appreciate the extra screen real estate, but I am more inclined to go with the 4.7 just for portability's sake.

However, if that is all that is available when I intend to purchase, that may affect my decision.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'll wait for the 5.5"...but not too long. It it's out this year great, if not I'll get the Note 4.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'm extremely excited about the possibility of a 5.5-inch iPhone. If Apple announces it, but says that it will be released several weeks or even a few months, I will wait. Otherwise, I'll get the new one when it is released.

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
Most likely there won't even be a 5.5" model. How many rumors and leaked parts showed the iPhone 5S was to be a 4.7" or larger screen? If they are planning to make a larger phone, I predict it will be a 4.7" released in conjunction with a 4". People aren't leaving in mass droves from iOS/iPhone to Android just because of a larger screen. Apple has no reason to make its flagship phone a much larger screen when sales say most people are content with the current size.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
5.5 is just plain too big. The only people I see using a phone/phablet that big are . . . . well I can not say but it has to do with the fake nails being so long they can use a standard size keyboard!:eek:

4.7 will be perfect!;)

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Probably not. If it's 749 off contract, and the 4.7" is 649, I'll also get more money by selling my iPhone 5 right before the 4.7"s release. The difference in that case would likely work out to around 150-200, and I don't think the 5.5" version is worth that much extra to me.

My main reason for getting the 5.5" would be to make videos, books, and PDFs easier to view. For $200, I'm approaching the cost of an iPad mini I could use for those things instead

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't know at this stage. I do like the larger form factor but with apple pushing the limits on being so thin, I'm not sure how strong it will be.

I may choose not to be on the bleeding edge and wait to see how it works out for people in the weeks and/or months after its launch.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
Honestly not sure at this point. I'm not in dire need of a phone right now but I'm due for an upgrade soon. As it stands currently I don't think the 5.5" model fits my needs or wants, but once I see it in person that could very well change (that is, if it even gets released this year).

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

Do not want.

The LG G3 is about as small as you can make a phone with a 5.5 inch display. I can't operate that one handed comfortably all the time and the 5.5 inch iphone will definitely be bigger.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
For all I care that this September I'll get the iPhone with largest capacity and largest screen size! :D

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
I'm hoping they split the difference and just release a 5" phone. It would be the best compromise. If they go 4.7 - 5.5 I'll go with 5.5, but not if it's a year later. Not sure what I'll do if they delay the larger model. 4.7 is still too small.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.