William F. Buckley, Jr. (1925-2008)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Feb 28, 2008.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the passing of Bill Buckley. Personally, I will miss him. He was infuriating, insufferable, and very interesting.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-buckley28feb28,0,7628815.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I actually enjoyed reading his stuff; despite his near-total wrongness on the issues.

Firing Line was also a worthwhile show. What network was that on again? Surely no "theliberalmedia" network would run it...

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Buckley was a conservative and an intellectual from a time when the two were not so antithetical to one another as they have become. Even when I did not agree with him, I did respect him, and his passing measurably lowers the already faltering tone of American public discourse.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Agree with him or not, you had to know that he'd thought deeply about his opinions. He and made quite a number of good friends among liberal intellectuals and enjoyed sparring with his ideological counterparts. This is what made "Firing Line" so much fun to watch. Oh, and those words! You had to keep an unabridged dictionary close at hand when listening to Buckley.

5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Buckley was a mystery to me. He could be insufferably inhuman one show but the next show he could put together an argument of pure logic that would humble Aquinas. However sophisticated broadcast conservative commentators try to be, often in homage to Buckley it seems, they seem to skip the logic part by and large. I miss Buckley already even though I couldn't agree with more than about 20% of the time.

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So true. Often he'd make intellectually dishonest arguments, but I think he felt it was up to his opponents to catch him at it. Sometimes Buckley could be too much Yale Debating Society for his own good, but at the same time, I recognize that he's not readily replaceable, either on the right or left. Maybe high-minded debate has become completely unimportant in American society. Maybe it died with Bill Buckley.

7. stevegmu macrumors regular

8. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

That is what I believe is referred to as 'below the belt'.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nope. You'll have to wait for Bill Moyers to kick the bucket for that.

Oh, and you're letting your persecution complex show again...

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I rest my case.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

See, I thought you meant that figuratively. I was wrong.

12. stevegmu macrumors regular

Calling Republicans stupid, idiots, and President Bush Hitler must be considered high brow in some circles.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

At the very least, Mr. Buckley did not have a persecution complex.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you've noticed, I've called out some of our more egregious liberals for their use of such terms as evil and stupid.

But let me ask you, is making the kind of snarky comment you made about applause and high-fives considered high brow to you?

15. stevegmu macrumors regular

Certainly not, but it matches the tone of this forum.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah, so an acceptable excuse for your own poor behavior is "but they did it first"?

How about some personal responsibility for your own behavior sir?

17. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Is there some kind of persecution complex filter that gmu has enabled or something? You keep referring to one post or another made by you being completely justified because someone somewhere is doing the same thing but they're a liberal. Thus you are required to do the same here. I mean, when are you going to take responsibility for what you post and actually try to have intelligent discourse instead of constantly passing the buck?

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think ya'll need to cut stevegmu some slack. I think it's good that someone like stevegmu takes the time to post his views even if they are counter to what many here think. I mean, how many of us would have the gumption to keep posting here if we had to climb up onto a cross after each post like stevegmu does? That's gotta be tiring, ya know? And typing w/nails in your wrists? Whew... that must be murder.

Lethal

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If my posts were blatant trolls, full of snarky personal attacks, and consistently internally flawed and contradicting I'd expect to be crucifixion.

It's got nothing to do with differing views, this forum accommodates them perfectly if they're eloquent. It's got everything to do with a complete inability to discuss practically any topic civilly and logically.

VVVVV edit: Forgot a severe persecution complex. VVVVV

20. stevegmu macrumors regular

This coming from a kid who follows me to every post, never addressing the topic, just to disagree with me. Seems like a troll to me.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh, the irony!

22. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Perpetuated and encouraged, and in some instances 100% created, by you.

This thread is a perfect case-in-point. I posted the obit for Bill Buckley not because I agreed with much of what he said, but because I admired the man's intellect. Instead of joining this discussion, which you could well have done, you wondered why nobody was dancing on his grave. The negative tone was your responsibility entirely.

23. stevegmu macrumors regular

Don't worry, I won't be replying to him again. I put him on the troll list.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

By "addressing the topic", do you mean something like posting a pointlessly inflammatory and totally misdirected "What, no high-fives, or good-riddance's?" Irony indeed.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And the only reason that you posted this is to see what my reaction will be. Which means I'm not on ignore yet. You're so predictable :).