Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcs37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Check this out:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,59959,00.html

How cool would it be to download a full-length movie off the net (legally, of course...somehow) and broadcast it to your widescreen TV in the next room? I hope Apple is on the ball with this!

My wish list for the G5 PowerBook:

--90 nm fab
--WiMedia
--HDTV tuner & decoder built-in
--Dual G5 in 15" and 17" models, second CPU shuts off while on battery
--1 GB MRAM

Will any of these come in the G5 PowerBook? Unlikely! But some day....

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
The whole Rendezvous thing supports this... Philips was supposed to come out with a Rendezvous-enabled TV which allowed you to do just this... but I haven't heard a word from them since Jaguar was announced (or did they already release it?) Anyways, if you don't have a Philips TV, you can get the new TiVo which supports Rendezvous.

Remember, Rendezvous can be used over a wireless network.

edit: No, it seems Philips hasn't come up with anything... I was afraid of that. Oh, and Sony has come up with the VAIO RoomLink, which works with.... VAIOs. Hmmmm...

But there's always the TiVo!

irmongoose

mcs37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by irmongoose
The whole Rendezvous thing supports this...

Very cool! However the WiMedia standard is designed specifically for this purpose. I think with Airport Extreme, however, it should be doable. How is the quality at 54 Mpbs? Even though 54 Mbps is really about 22 Mbps. Why? Who knows! Clever marketing, perhaps.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by mcs37
Very cool! However the WiMedia standard is designed specifically for this purpose. I think with Airport Extreme, however, it should be doable. How is the quality at 54 Mpbs? Even though 54 Mbps is really about 22 Mbps. Why? Who knows! Clever marketing, perhaps.

I myself haven't tried it... but there must be a few people on this board who have the TiVo....

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.