Win7 runs fine in Fusion, but not in Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by theNEOone, Jan 10, 2010.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

As the title says, I can run Win7 perfectly in VMWare Fusion, but I can't Bootcamp into Win7 (my MBP will just reboot without ever getting to a Win load screen). I previously had Vista installed and could do both without any issues. I know that Apple hasn't yet released an update to Bootcamp, but I was under the impression that this had more to do with smaller items (sound, trackpad performance, temp management) than it did with outright catastrophic failure. Is my issue related to this missing Bootcamp update, or is there something else wrong?

MBP Unibody 2.8ghz
    4gb Ram
    SL 10.6.2

=|

2. gouvernor macrumors newbie

Win7

I used Vista and now use windows 7 without a problem with bootcamp on my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro. Although, I was having some issues with Fusion not recognizing my bootcamp partition after removing the virtual disk and making a new one it would find it, but then have the same problem. I just reinstalled both OS's on both computers and had no issues as far as bootcamp, but I haven't tried the Fusion portion again.

I was using the bootcamp drivers from my snow leopard DVD as I had purchased both machines with Leopard. I belive they are 3.0

Leo

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had win7 on a bootcamp partition w/o any problems or headaches. In fact the install went very smoothly. Did you upgrade from Vista, perhaps the upgrade option isn't compatible to how bootcamp works. Try a clean install (that's what I did and it works).

I'm running win7 on a 2.53 MBP. I have since nuked the bootcamp partition since I satisfies all of my window's needs.

4. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I upgraded from Vista. I don't think I can do a clean install - i purchased the $25 student upgrade for Win7....

Am I mistaken?

=|

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I updated from Vista and didn't have any problems on my MacBook Air

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Apple's drivers suck - it's that simple.

Ok ok, so if you do a clean install, it might help. I had Windows 7 give me issues with wireless on my Dell, and a fresh install fixed it, but chances are it's just Apple's drivers sucking so much.

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I gave up on bootcamp ages ago when I couldn't run an external monitor except at the same resolution as my MBP screen. That was when I had a 17" MBP (1680x1050) and a 23" ACD (1920x1200). That was bad enough. Now I have a 15" MBP (1440x900) and Dell 3008WFP (2560x1600). Imagine running a 30" monitor at 1440x900. :rolleyes: No thanks.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't see why not? I run 1280x800 on my MacBook Air with 1680x1050 on my external monitor at the same time using VGA (not even DVI). I think you're blaming the wrong company here. The problem with resolutions is not boot camp, its the graphics drivers. Blame ATi or nVidia.

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I was using DVI, and never got it to work right. At the time the only graphics drivers I knew of were the ones provided by Apple. As thejadedmonkey said, Apple boot camp drivers suck. They certainly did for me. Doesn't matter for me now. I use VMWare Fusion 3 now and it works just fine for XP Pro and Windows 7 RC.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well when I was using bootcamp the drivers worked well for me. I see many other people who have successfully used the drivers as well. I don't think they suck and given the success rate, the numbers are on the side of working.

That of course doesn't help the OP but blindly blaming the drivers just because, isn't too helpful either.

11. boshuter macrumors newbie

Yes, you can do a clean install with the Digital River student upgrade deal ISO. I just installed W7 Pro 32bit on my old core duo Macbook using bootcamp and a clean install from a usb drive. Everything works perfectly except for the trackpad, which sucked even in Leopard.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

On the reverse, just because the drivers work for you and many others doesn't mean they don't have real problems with some percentage of user configurations. The "it works for me so it should work for you" mentality is unhelpful and unrealistic.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I personally don't see how the drivers "don't work". Apple only provides the drivers, the only drivers that Apple created themselves are the backlit keyboard, bootcamp.exe, isight and touchpad (probably left out a few here). All the other drivers are just a compliation from all the other companies such as Intel, nVidia, Broadcom, etc.

Stating that Apple boot camp drivers suck is a real large topic since Apple only compiles the drivers from all the other companies and provides it in a neat little package.

I personally haven't had any boot camp driver related problems ever, even back during the Boot Camp beta days using Tiger. The only issue so far I'm having is a Windows 7 network share bluescreen that not just plagues my mac but our PC's also.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The multi-touch trackpad driver (Apple's own) caused me repeated blue screens on my supported Vista 32 install on the MacBook. The keyboard backlight driver (Apple's own) won't let you turn off the backlight. The audio driver won't turn off the optical output....

Only the trackpad driver was fixed in BC 3.0.

Problems abound. The drivers suck.

B

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The same goes with the blind statement that the apple drivers suck. Based on the many threads I have read here and elsewhere its pretty safe to say that the bootcamp drivers work for the majority of people and while others do have a problem they seem to be in the minority. So the statement it works for me is actually quite helpful as it shows that severity of problems isn't affecting the whole mac population.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I can't say about the trackpad but I have heard about it from others. The keyboard backlight.. I've always been able to turn it off so I cant' say anything about that either. For the audio, RealTek should be the one to blame. You could download the updated RealTek drivers from their website.

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

They sucked for me (and at least one other), so it's not a blind statement. I had enough problems with Bootcamp drivers that I gave up on it. This was on a late '06 2.33 GHz MBP I had until late summer. Something only needs to suck for one instance for it to be true that it sucks. :)

Maybe they work brilliantly on my new MBP, but I don't care to try anymore. I'm down to using Windows for nothing more than accessing a corporate exchange server and Office Communicator, and occasional testing of a Java app I develop. Nuff said.