Win7 x64 vs OSX x86 (on current 2010 hardware)….

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Dec 8, 2010.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

as per title...

Clock for clock.
    Which is faster at crunching processor intensive data? Why?

2. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Windows wastes a lot of clock ticks running all your AV and anti spyware programs lol

3. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

What data are you referring to? Allot would depend if the app was multithreaded or not to take advantage of all the cores or not. Then there is hard drive vs ssd to help. Allot of variables. Now if your talking crunching data from SETI or WCG, I think OSX has less crap running in the back ground to put it in front. I moved to ubuntu 64 which smokes them both! :D

4. goMac macrumors 603

5. bmb012 macrumors 6502

From my experience, almost everything (except Apple programs) run better in Windows.

Which is made up for by how much more productive I am in OS X, but for raw crunching, I don't know. If it uses CUDA, the graphics drivers are so much better in Windows.

But yeah, the most specific we can really get is 'it depends.'

6. neckarb macrumors regular

7. goMac macrumors 603

Technically, for number crunching, they're going to be almost the exact same speed. It's just the exact same C code crunching numbers on the exact same hardware.

When you start including stuff like different technologies and different drivers, it starts to get complicated. That's really why it's hard to answer this question.

But if you're just doing pure number crunching, they should be the same speed.