Windows 10 on Mac pro 5.1

Itconnects

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2020
NYC
So as I was going through the process for the millionth time I decided to press “delete” when it got to the disk section of the installer. I installed on top of that. Didn’t work obviously... but when I went to reinstall again I was met with a small system reserves partition and my target drive, so I pressed format on the target drive and left the system portion alone. This time after it restart I got to a blue screen asking me to “choose operating system” this is the first time this has happened.

The options are:

Windows 10 on volume 2

Or

Windows 10 on volume 2

And a timer of 5 seconds before it chooses. I’m confused because they’re both named the same obviously. What’s interesting is at the bottom of the screen I have an option that says “change defaults or choose other options”

In here I changed the timer settings to 5 minutes.
I found a section where I can boot into safe mode amongst other things. I tried to boot into safe mode but same thing happened. Black screen.

I’m kinda happy because it’s the first time I’ve seen this screen

Under the option “startup settings”

-enable low resolution mode
-enable debuggin
-enable boot logging
-enable safe mode
-disable driver signature enforcement
-disable early Launch anti malware protection
-disable automatic restart on system failure.

-Restart

I can’t choose one yet I have to press restart and once I do I get a screen where I can choose any one of those options and I’m guessing it will boot into one of those.

I did remember the system reserve one was above the main target drive so I’m hoping when I boot into safe mode that it isn’t booting into that system reserves partition rendering all the options useless 😩

I also think these new options are on the system reserve because when I chose the second option which has the same name it restarts, while the first option doesn’t

Last edited:

Itconnects

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2020
NYC
Reformatted drive and reinstalled. Can’t access those options anymore. It boots straight into black screen of death. It seems like the install onto the HDD isn’t fully completed

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do you have any other GPU? That “sudden turn black” really looks like having problem when driver try to take over from EFI UGA.

If it’s hardware issue, you won’t fix it by software method

Itconnects

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2020
NYC
Do you have any other GPU? That “sudden turn black” really looks like having problem when driver try to take over from EFI UGA.

I successfully installed Windows 8. I’m on the desktop. It seems that it was software after all, probably driver related ? Thanks for your help so far. How do I upgrade to Windows 10 avoiding that issue... maybe install new Nvidia drivers? If so, Which one?

Itconnects

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2020
NYC

I forgot to say that when I wanted to install Mojave on another drive through a usb disk, it said that it needed metal and something about FileVault. But when I installed Mojave through my os to that target drive it worked. Maybe that’s what’s also going on with Windows. Either way I just installed 8.1 successfully through a dvd and just installed bootcamp 5.1 drivers