Windows 7 puts my macbook to sleep faster than Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bob616, Jan 1, 2010.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

I have a unibody Macbook Pro and I installed windows 7 64bit with bootcamp and one thing that i noticed is that windows 7 puts my macbook to sleep when I close the lid about 10 seconds faster than Snow Leopard does.
    Snow Leopard takes about 10 to 15 seconds to put it to sleep and Windows take 2 to 5 seconds. Is this normal? It'd be funny if windows can do things faster than mac can with apple hardware.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's because Mac OS X copies the contents of the RAM onto the HDD, in case of power failure and empty battery, so that no data is lost.
    Windows 7 does not seem to do that.

That feature can be switched off via Terminal or a System Preference pane called SmartSleep.

3. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

oh that's interesting. So if my macbook was in sleep and the battery died and then i plugged it in it would resume where it left off?

4. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Yup.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

SmartSleep even has a nice little feature called ... drumroll ... smart sleep, which means, the computer goes to sleep immediately without copying the RAM onto the HDD, but once the battery charge falls below a set charge (10% in the image) the RAM gets copied onto the HDD, so you enjoy the feature of a fast go to sleep process and also have all your contents saved in case of a discharged battery.
    [​IMG]

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

If power is interrupted during sleep with Windows 7, you can lose valuable data :eek: