Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Dont agree with all the points but seems fair enough in overall scoring.
Windows has really caught apple up in some areas of OS design but i still think OSX has the edge.

Hopefully snow leopard is a base and 10.7 is a year away and will blow W7 away!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors 604
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I was surprised they game Windows the better score for stability, but then I thought about how many beach-balls I get in OS X, and how smooth Windows 7 runs, and I'm just shocked that Apple let Microsoft beat them.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
MS Grabs The Lead!!!

Well, Apple had better step up their QC. They have been getting away with releasing buggy SW lately. Ironic, that MS is now releasing relatively bug free SW and a better overall user experience.

MS "just works".....:eek:

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
From reading all these comments I was under the impression that Windows had won. Not the case. Could someone please tell me how they could possibly keep from giving Snow Leopard the edge in design???:eek:

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
What's stopping you from trying it right now?
There is no OFFICIAL support for Windows 7 right now for bootcamp. However, I'm sure you can get it to work without a problem. Note though that W7 will only work on Intel macs, not the older generations.

Parallels and VM will support W7 without a problem.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
hmmm... windows 7 vs snow leopard.

I never thought id say this, but its close. I've just had a play wi windows 7 on my mate's laptop... some of the features are good.

It entirely depends on what you want from a computer. I want a computer that "just works" and os x is designed to do that. It runs my programs, it has some cool features, it does it's job, looks rather cool and does the what i want it to quickly. Thats why os x is good for me.

My mate likes to mess around with his themes, play games, and do all sorts of rubbish that i consider a waste of time with his laptop. I just do my music production, browse the web, play music and movies.

In my opinion, os x still has the edge. Despite windows overtaking osx in new features, we all know windows copied a lot of osx's features previously, windows still gets virus's and plenty of them and i rather like a computer that doesnt crash very often.

andylyon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
London
windows still gets virus's and plenty of them and i rather like a computer that doesnt crash very often.
That's the thing though, read around, Win7 does not crash. I used it for 4 months before I converted, the RC, and it never crashed on me.

AnDy

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There is no OFFICIAL support for Windows 7 right now for bootcamp. However, I'm sure you can get it to work without a problem. Note though that W7 will only work on Intel macs, not the older generations.

Parallels and VM will support W7 without a problem.
No official support for Windows 7? I'm sure we're scared. :p

That's the thing though, read around, Win7 does not crash. I used it for 4 months before I converted, the RC, and it never crashed on me.

AnDy
Flawless for 6 months under the RC here. My router is dying so my wireless was acting up. Though flashing it with dd-wrt has fixed everything. So my router isn't dying anymore? :rolleyes:

Frankie.

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Even better then haha. I don't W7 will get the job done but for the prices, I'll pass. Of course, I'm getting a $30 student copy.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Better performance doesn't hurt either:

Nice. Those are the figures that Dong Ngo did for CNET and which he got the piss taken out of him on every message board, right?

For those who don't realise these bars come from a test on a Macbook Pro running Apple software (Quicktime - different versions - and iTunes). DMann seems to have omitted the graph showing Windows 7 comfortably beating Snow Leopard on Call of Duty and Cinebench - written by a third parties - though.

Mind you, we can always look at how OS X compares to Windows 7 on hardware it's optimised to. Let me just get a Lenovo and...

Oh wait. We can't.