Windows 8.1 for my rMBP, Xbox one or wait for Steam Machines later in the year

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bounou, Feb 15, 2014.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

So after reading up and seeing a few videos about Titanfall I am pretty excited to play the game.

I was planning on installing my old copy of windows 8 on my nMBP and playing in boot camp but i seem to have managed to lose the disk.

My options at this point seem to be buying another copy of windows, getting an Xbox one or waiting for steam machines to get a broad release and getting one that dual boots windows and steam OS.

Obviously getting windows is the simplest option but honestly the idea of giving Microsoft ANOTHER 250$ for the piece of **** OS that is windows 8 really pisses me off.

The Xbox one is double the price and since i already have a PS4 will only be used for exclusives and honestly almost 600$ with tax to play 2-3 must play exclusives a year is pricey, i already have a Wii U and a PS4 so i was thinking steam machine would be a better option then an Xbox one.

The last option is waiting till the second half of the year for a dual booting steam machine.

At this point i am waiting for the official reviews of Titanfall before i make a decision but wanted to get some feedback, see what the rest of you think.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Hmm

Well, Steam Machines will most likely be as expensive as buying any other computer, so just buying a copy of Winodows would be cheaper, if you don't want a Steam Machine for any other reason. Besides, SteamOS is just a valve modified Debian Linux, so it most likely won't get more games than Mac OS X, maybe with the exception of Valve titles, but they'll probably come to the Mac too. I myself have an Xbox One for exclusive, but honestly use it more for routing HDMI to my AppleTV than anything. (Current exclusives I own are: Forza, and Dead Rising.) As far as I've understood it though, Titanfall is a limited exclusive for the Microsoft platforms, and will eventually come out for PS4, so that might be an option if you're willing to wait.

3. bounou thread starter macrumors 6502

bounou

How does that work? What do you use it for?

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Xbox

The Xbox has both hd I in and out. Through the Xbox TV app, you can display the signal of the hdmi in, and a good bunch of cable providers allow you to control their tv boxes with kinet too. I use mine for an Apple TV, which I use for iTunes(music, movies etc), airplay streaming or various things, displaying photo stream photos, netflix (I prefer apple tv's interface for netflix over Xbox and ps4, and I'm using a paid high speed VPN for Netflix, which the Apple TV is permanently set for. Vpn's aren't very good solutions for game consoles because of latency, and I'd rather not have to change settings all the time). So that' shy and how.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

You described what you use an ATV for. The original statement made it sound like there was some enhanced bit from the Xbox One, but you're basically just happy that the sum total of the 2 are just using 1 HDMI port?

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

My original statement was simply that I used the Xbox primarily to route hdmi to my Apple TV. I didn't mean to imply that there was any advantage over just using an Apple TV. Point was simply that I don't really use the Xbox.

7. bounou thread starter macrumors 6502

bounou

So i decided to pick up a copy of 8.1, got a great deal and i had a gift card so ended up only costing me 13$ after i used the card.

I have to say i am not sure i understand microsofts strategy with Titanfall. If it was Xbone only i would of picked one up, as it is there are still no exclusives that make me think i desperately need one.

Hopefully Halo 5 comes out this year with a nice themed console and a 100$ price reduction and i can pick one up then!