Windows Explorer to OSX Finder - File Management

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neteng101, Nov 30, 2009.

1. neteng101 macrumors 65816

This one part has never seemed quite right moving from PC to Mac for me... I'm most used to Windows Explorer - the old XP style, working in a single window. I find that with Finder, to copy/paste or move files, I can't always just select files and paste/copy them to the new location... and some things seem to require having multiple Finder windows open and a drag/drop.

Maybe I'm missing something in the process/workflow and its possible to solely work easily in a single Finder window? It doesn't seem to always allow you to do a copy or cut when you right click on a selection of files in Finder.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Finder NEVER permits cutting files. Copying can be done easily enough, though. The easiest way to move files is to open two windows and do a drag and drop operation, as you said.

The key takeaway here is that Finder is NOT designed like Windows Explorer. For one thing, I find Windows Explorer's lack of ability to create a new Explorer window frustrating. By the same token, though, I could understand how Finder could take some getting used to.

EDIT: If you find Finder to be too much of a hassle to use, give Path Finder a try. It's a 3rd party Finder replacement, that's a LOT more powerful.

3. neteng101 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think you have nailed it right there - I found the way to do it but it just never quite clicked in my head in what way its different. I have been using two Finder windows to move files. Guess I'll get really used to it over time and it'll become second nature.

I've already caught myself trying multi finger gestures on a PC touchpad. :eek:

4. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Open the full finder window that has the list of your drives on the left hand side. Browse to the file you want to move. Click and drag the file to the desired target location. As you hover for a second over a drive or a folder, it will open up. You can continue navigating this way until you reach the target location. At the target location, simply let go of the mouse button to drop the file there.

Or just open two finder windows. Have the source location in one window and target location in the other. Drag n drop.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Much quicker to have multiple windows in finder

Here is how I open a new window
    Command+N

I would place alias of frequently used folders in the new window, then you can type "r" and it will jump to "research" folder, then I do Command+O to open that.

Finder is very fast if you know what you are doing. I can perform operations in 2 seconds while windows people are still drilling through their left pane.