Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Windows is not that bad or different from MacOS as some people make it out to be. I think it may have been a few years ago, but the difference is overblown now. I'm not sure the MacOS hardware premium is worth it anymore (to me). Especially for basic users that mostly use a web browser, photos, music player, and document editor they are not significantly different. Sure they both take some getting used to if you switch after several years, but I use both daily and don't mind either one or find one much better than the other. I certainly thought I was going to be a Mac user for life but I am happy with Windows again for now.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Windows is not that bad or different from MacOS as some people make it out to be. I think it may have been a few years ago, but the difference is overblown now. I'm not sure the MacOS hardware premium is worth it anymore (to me). Especially for basic users that mostly use a web browser, photos, music player, and document editor they are not significantly different. Sure they both take some getting used to if you switch after several years, but I use both daily and don't mind either one or find one much better than the other. I certainly thought I was going to be a Mac user for life but I am happy with Windows again for now.

Imho both Windows and MacOS have their pros and cons. I like them both and have no problem switching back and forth. They in the end they both bet the job done and if the UI is the most important aspect of an OS, you need to find something else to do with a computer :)

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
My primary devices are now Windows as well. I switched to the Mac at home in 2004 and also had an MBP for work in 2015-2016, but now that Apple has insisted on replacing top-tier laptop keyboards with utter garbage and simultaneously letting their software quality go down the drain, swithing primarily to Windows hasn't been hard as I've been constantly working on the platform (also during the MBP days on a virtual machine) and know my way around it.

When my 2011 Mac mini dies, I'm not completely sure what I replace it with. The new mini is nice, but at least an i5 configuration is outrageously expensive here.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Windows is far better these days, just need to opt out of a few things. Apple has literally beaten off many professional's thx to it's now fashion/form over function hardware.

Aside W10's oddities, the OS has proved to be stable and a solid platform for my needs with performant & reliable hardware which is all I really ask for. Mac's I'm just retiring them, with the new models being more show than go coupled with nonsensical pricing for many. For me it's more the reliability concerns, counter intuitive security measures, hardware that barely makes it's marketing spec's and port solutions that make no sense in the real-world.

Once OS X was indeed a stable platform, today it's all about impressing the base consumer little else. W10 is powerful & flexible, it's very open nature likely results in many getting into trouble due the users lack of knowledge, then again "don't fix what isn't broken" might just be a better approach. Like as not more & more will switch to Windows as although previously Mac's were indeed expensive they most certainly offered value, today that's sorely lacking...

Q-6

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Windows is far better these days, just need to opt out of a few things. Apple has literally beaten off many professional's thx to it's now fashion/form over function hardware.

Aside W10's oddities, the OS has proved to be stable and a solid platform for my needs with performant & reliable hardware which is all I really ask. Mac's I'm just retiring them, with the new models being more show than go coupled with nonsensical pricing for many. For me it's more the reliability concerns, counter intuitive security measures, hardware that barely makes it's marketing spec's and port solutions that make no sense in the real-world.

Once OS X was indeed a stable platform, today it's all about impressing the base consumer little else. W10 is powerful & flexible, it's very open nature likely gets the majority into trouble due the users lack of knowledge. Likely more & more will switch to Windows as although previously Mac's were indeed expensive they most certainly offered value, today that's sorely lacking...

Q-6

But...but...but... Dark Mode hahaha ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Reactions: user_xyz

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
My MacBook Pro 15 had to be retired and I was looking for a replacement, but when I saw the price difference of about $1000 spread between the MacBook Pro 2018 version 15 inch over the Lenovo X1 extreme, I had to do a lot a research about windows 10 and I was pleasantly surprised that it has improved over the last time I had it. We are talking about $1000 difference between two Highly Spec out computers. Why in the world would I want to spend a thousand dollars more for an Apple computer that a windows 10 computer can do? Not to mention you’re getting that wonderful butterfly keyboard with an Apple, and who wouldn’t want that? :confused: For a boatload of $$$$.

Finally woke up and realized Apple is just another computer company, and my money is far too important to spend on fancy marketing and thinness. Both OS’s are good, but now I want more Ports, Great keyboard, and down to earth pricing.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Since Windows 98 I used just Apple products and so OSX. Now, because of some common reasons I decided to try Windows 10 for my work (as PhD student) and I must admit that Windows works just better. I have a much better workflow on it and Word is just at another level compared to the toy-version of OSX.

There is just one thing that I like on OSX / Mojave just better than Windows so that I'm not so sure that I want to change: OSX / Mojave is esthetically better.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Dark mode is there because people wanted it (I still fail to understand why, why do you want everything to be dark?

Look at the iOS 13 rumors, people are literally screaming GIVE US DARK MODE!

I think it is maybe a similar fad to what happened with websites in the 90's where everyone and their brother had to have a black website. Then black websites became passé before the balance was restored. I think dark mode or at least the current craze for it will go the same route. Some people will always prefer it, but I think the fad demand for it will pass.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Imho both Windows and MacOS have their pros and cons. I like them both and have no problem switching back and forth. They in the end they both bet the job done and if the UI is the most important aspect of an OS, you need to find something else to do with a computer :)

That's an excellent point IMO. While I'm not any sort of a power user, nor do I require any certain set of specs or ports (on mobile devices), what does interest me most in all of my computing needs is; NOT being in a relationship with my operating system. Don't even want one. I only want to use, (change/share/consume/create/transfer/print) the content. The rest is just mundane housekeeping, at best.

Most modern operating systems, mobile and desktop, get out of the way pretty well these days. Many apps do too. But there's still room for improvement on all. Sure, the tech is great.... now get out of my face. I've got **** to do! lol

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The reason I mentioned it is that I have seen some posts from users going on about how they could never switch to Windows because Windows doesn't look as good as OSX or Windows 10 isn't as slick as Mojave or similar.

When you read those kinds of comments you just have to wonder what they are doing with their computer that looks of the OS are the most important factor as to which OS they use?

Firing up the machines and blowing bubbles at the OS? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ( ͡°❥ ͡°) ( 灬♥ 3 ♥灬)

About the only time I ever really notice the OS is on boot and then it gets out of the way, regardless of whether it is Windows or OSX

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
80% of what I do work and play on a computer is in a web browser. The other 20% is in Microsoft Office. And I expect for many pencil pushing accounting techs it's the same situation.

Practically speaking if the Android Office apps were better I could use my work Samsung Galaxy as my only device since it connects to a monitor quite happily.

I say that as somebody who didn't find a Windows alternative that really did it for me 100% and ended up buying a MacBook again. :rolleyes:

Edit: That is to say, there's basically nothing that really separates these things outside of the hardware experience in my mind. They're all really fantastic. What a time to be alive yeah?

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
If you are, or anyone is basic user(Web 99% of the time, and from time to time, a film, document editor, etc) why not use... Linux instead?

Today I stumbled upon Linux Ubuntu Budgie Distro which is very much macOS like.

The reason I mentioned it is that I have seen some posts from users going on about how they could never switch to Windows because Windows doesn't look as good as OSX or Windows 10 isn't as slick as Mojave or similar.

When you read those kinds of comments you just have to wonder what they are doing with their computer that looks of the OS are the most important factor as to which OS they use?

Firing up the machines and blowing bubbles at the OS? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ( ͡°❥ ͡°) ( 灬♥ 3 ♥灬)

About the only time I ever really notice the OS is on boot and then it gets out of the way, regardless of whether it is Windows or OSX
UI is part of user experience. And, yes, after few months 100% on Windows I can say to you, macOS, and Linux distros look, and "feel" way better than Windows. Windows is simply boring and ugly.

Reactions: c0ppo

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
If you are, or anyone is basic user(Web 99% of the time, and from time to time, a film, document editor, etc) why not use... Linux instead?

Today I stumbled upon Linux Ubuntu Budgie Distro which is very much macOS like.

UI is part of user experience. And, yes, after few months 100% on Windows I can say to you, macOS, and Linux distros look, and "feel" way better than Windows. Windows is simply boring and ugly.

I like Linux (Mint) a lot but find it takes more effort to get it working properly (drivers to work on custom built PC's) and it doesn't have the same functionality as Windows for some things like certain apps (iTunes) and gaming unless you're going to run Wine which I hear is not optimal. The customization of Linux is great though and it's simple and nearly flawless. It's the least bloated by far. I can get used to any of them if I had to and I've tested all of them a lot lately and went with Windows for now.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
No, Windows is not bad at all. Just different.

I am actively teaching myself how to use Autodesk Sketchbook, so I can draw on Windows machines too. Like anything else, I have to learn Windows and get comfortable with fixing it so I can move forward. I freaked out over screwing up both Surfaces within hours of owning them. It is not impossible, it just takes time. Something I need to work on.

I may also try something like a Wacom tablet which will give me more software options in creating art.

I keep thinking of the builds on the Surface machines and how comfortable they made me feel. I also get that a single machine may not do everything I want and that I might still need the iPad to do art for now.

But I’ll watch the sales.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
There's definitely some good things in windows, there's also some head scratching things. I saw the latest which seems odd and I actually hate.
Windows 10 will chew up another 7GB of disk space to make sure it can update

Is it really that big of a deal? The "reserve" space will be used for system files, caches and the like as well that will be purged if needed for an update. If you look at your storage in Mac with a utility such as Daisy Disk, you will find a chunk of Hidden Space which is used by the system for caches, etc. I can all but guarantee that it is at least 7GB on any given system.

This seems like something that will only impact tablet and other devices with low storage such as the 32GB ones that Microsoft has pumped out in the past. Those need to disappear anyway.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is it really that big of a deal? The "reserve" space will be used for system files
It is and it isn't. Part of my contention is there really shouldn't have to reserve space that is unused but is reserved for updates. Couldn't the system reserve the space at the time of the update, if its successful, go through the updating process (then release the space), if not, issue a warning. Why consume 7GB and not ever give it back, seems like a waste.

Yeah, with drives over 256GB, and many are 512GB and 1TB, the space consumer isn't huge but its just the fact its taken

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I only really use windows for gaming now, and overall my experience with that is completely free of the pain I often get advised will be waiting for switchers on this site... if anything I'd say the Windows interface is now largely less obtrusive, and it gets out of the way even better than MacOS does (cough cough window snapping) If my old gaming laptop was SSD based rather than HDD I daresay it would probably be a better overall experience and I'd probably use it a lot more.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It is and it isn't. Part of my contention is there really shouldn't have to reserve space that is unused but is reserved for updates. Couldn't the system reserve the space at the time of the update, if its successful, go through the updating process (then release the space), if not, issue a warning. Why consume 7GB and not ever give it back, seems like a waste.

Yeah, with drives over 256GB, and many are 512GB and 1TB, the space consumer isn't huge but its just the fact its taken

I get what you are saying. But that space is pretty much in use anyway for system caches and temp files and if you run out of proper space for those, your machine is probably going to run like garbage anyway. So I get what they are doing. But perhaps calling it "reserved" was a poor choice in terminology?

Reactions: OdT22 and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.