Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Windows Migration Assistant Updated for macOS Big Sur

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
So how well does this actually work? I want to convert my parents (win7/8 machines) to new Minis (ARM). Now one machine uses Thunderbird for email and the other Forte Agent (really old stuff but I think it can export for Thunderbird).

Can Quicken for the Mac import Window's Quicken data? Also I would need Office on both. I know not a cheap move but it can be done and would relieve me of sometimes having to fix "I clicked this on a webpage..."
You can just install Thunderbird for Mac and transfer the entire mail library across so it stays intact. That's what I did back in 2012

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
Didn’t even know this was a thing.
Does it manage to detect windows store applications that are also existing in the Mac App Store?

For what is worth, the Mac to Mac migration application, wow, I have jumped between three computers this year. The first one just started it with a Time Machine restore then the following ones with migration assistant from desktop to desktop after a fresh install just because it was faster via TB3.

Besides some passwords and licensing keys for some non store apps (most just really prompt a dialog when needed once), it’s incredible how amazing it works, it’s really a “transplant”... even open safari and continue browsing with all the tabs that where already open from the migrated computer.

Coming from the windows world on this, I rarely gave it a try and disdained the fact of setting up a computer from scratch... not anymore... Migration Assistant via another computer or time machine capsule for the win.

Comment

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
I used this last night. Big Sur managed (I think) to somehow update Catalina on my 2019 fusion iMac solely to the hard drive making booting glacial. Following Apple Support advice I erased and restarted last night THIS migration assistant didn’t do what it was supposed to and it has taken me most of the day putting stuff where it was supposed to be, after I managed to find it on Time Machine. Time machine thankfully did what it was supposed to, but it wasn’t easy.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Most of Windows hasn't looked like that in a long while though and devs are free to implement whatever interface they want as far as I'm aware (just look at all the different installers that have been out there for years).

The “do what you want” hands off attitude from Microsoft is what lead to Windows looking like ass. There’s no coherent design language because Microsoft never tried to push one - their apps look like one thing, and then every third party developer’s app looks like it’s own totally different thing.

It was chaotic a decade or two ago... I feel like everyone has kind of settled on, not the same thing, but a variety of things that are okay looking.

Comment

Maetzle

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
The “do what you want” hands off attitude from Microsoft is what lead to Windows looking like ass. There’s no coherent design language because Microsoft never tried to push one - their apps look like one thing, and then every third party developer’s app looks like it’s own totally different thing.

It was chaotic a decade or two ago... I feel like everyone has kind of settled on, not the same thing, but a variety of things that are okay looking.

Not denying that at all. I don't enjoy the inconsistency there either. With their own apps its starting to get more unified, but there is still so much stuff in the background that looks outdated (like if you go deeper into the settings) and doesn't fit the rest of it.

Comment

esposimi

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Does the Migration assistant actually use the old Finder icon, or was this screenshot just outdated?

Does it really still have the old Finder icon? That's over 6 years out of date, lol. 2003 icon. I'm sure they have a transparent version of the current one lying around somewhere, just no one probably thinks enough about this app to change the icon.
Yes, still has the old icon

1605998422718.png

Comment

grjj

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014
So how well does this actually work? I want to convert my parents (win7/8 machines) to new Minis (ARM). Now one machine uses Thunderbird for email and the other Forte Agent (really old stuff but I think it can export for Thunderbird).

Can Quicken for the Mac import Window's Quicken data? Also I would need Office on both. I know not a cheap move but it can be done and would relieve me of sometimes having to fix "I clicked this on a webpage..."
If their mail accounts are set up for IMAP access (most are) then all the mail is on the server and doesn't need to be transferred via migration.

Quicken is a whole other story, Intuit has traditionally been really bad at coding and the file formats across platforms were completely incompatible; I think they're resolve that over the past few years but you'd have to reach out to them.

Office: If they're paying for a subscription to 365 then the platform they run it on doesn't matter. Unless they're power users Pages, Numbers and Keynote do what most people need and all read and write the Office file formats.

Comment

alien3dx

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2017
Damn that's ugly. Windows. I refuse.

Well, I have to use it for work, but I wish I didn't have to. Everything is so damn... janky.
right tool for right job. macos catalina look nice but big surr is ouch which going the same route as microsoft.

Comment

Gnomeo86

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2016
Big Sur was making my MBP too slow, so I backed up my laptop with Time Machine and reverted to Catalina. When I attempted to restore the backup with Migration Assistant, it didn't recognise it... The backup was not even visible in Folder. I installed Big Sur again and the backup was there again and instantly recognised by Migration Assistant.

So, weirdly, backups made under Big Sur cannot be used in older macOS versions :(

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.