Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I want to install windows on a mac pro using an dedicated HD just to play games.

Few questions;

1. Would this version work/be ok? (see attached pic) If it's a home version it's 32bit right? I understand this means it can address less RAM. Anything else?

2. If this EOM version works would there be a problem in doing regular reinstalls? - due to activation.

Will I have trouble will wireless keyboard/mouse with XP?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 97

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
OEM version works fine, and yep, that 32-Bit.

It's just the same as a standard version of Windows, so all the standard activation rules apply.

Your wireless stuff should work fine, just install the drivers that you burn to CD when using Boot Camp Assistant.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Yep - OEM XP Home will be fine. It has rather more basic networking than Pro, but is otherwise much the same.

2. All versions of windows (except VLK licences) will require re-activation after a re-install, so your situation there is no different from using it on a regular Windows PC.

The BT keyboard and mouse will work just fine once you install the bootcamp drivers

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So unfortunately you'll need a USB keyboard and mouse for the install of XP.

The weird thing is during the actual 'install' my BT keyboard and mouse work fine. In fact the only time I had problems was 'after' it installed and then it wouldn't find them. bizarre...

JNB

macrumors 604
OEM version works fine, and yep, that 32-Bit.

It's just the same as a standard version of Windows, so all the standard activation rules apply.

Your wireless stuff should work fine, just install the drivers that you burn to CD when using Boot Camp Assistant.

No CD to burn with Leopard, remember? The Leopard DVD already has the drivers and has the autorun.exe when inserted on the Windows side.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
The weird thing is during the actual 'install' my BT keyboard and mouse work fine. In fact the only time I had problems was 'after' it installed and then it wouldn't find them. bizarre...

Oh yup forgot about that. Apple writes the bluetooth settings into PRAM (or something) so that you can use the bluetooth on next boot. Windows breaks the pairing by using a different code so it stops working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.