Windows/OS X Dual Boot: Re: Access to files on one system from the other OS sytem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jh007jh, May 17, 2010.

1. jh007jh macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a complete n00b when it comes to OSX just to warn you lol. Im just wondering, if one did a dual boot of windows alongside OSX, is it possible to access those files on the windows partition from OSX and likewise, is it possible to access those files on the OSX partition from wndows?

Also, will Time Capsule only back up files from OSX or from across the whole mac?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, as I am looking into buying a macbook and was wondering if this is possible. Thanks so much for any help! :)

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

OSX will be able to read from either NTFS or FAT32 Windows partitions, and can write to a FAT32 partition.

Depending on the OS version, Windows may or may not be able to read HFS+ partitions on the OS X side. Windows XP cannot without a third-party utility. I can't definitively say for Vista and 7, although I've heard 7 can.

Time Machine, when set up, will automatically exclude NTFS partitions. If you use this filesystem when you install Windows, Time Machine will not back it up. I recommend using WinClone to back up any NTFS Windows partitions.

3. jh007jh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks very much for the excellent and quick reply!!