Windows user can't get new imac to connect to ethernet at home

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doctorsti, May 9, 2008.

1. Doctorsti macrumors regular

First mac experience not going well. I can't get my Mac to communicate with the network at home. I have a comcast cable modem downstairs that I have wired throughout the house on Cat 5e cable. My windows computers can use the connection fine but the mac can't repair the connection. What the hell, I thought macs "just worked." Someone help before I make a new "smash the imac" video.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How is IP assignment/distribution being handled?

3. Doctorsti thread starter macrumors regular

good question, i have no idea. I never had to deal with that using either windows laptop i have. My windows machines say, "acquiring IP address" then connect on their own. Just talked to applecare and they were no help really except saying "call you isp to see if they can give you the information you need" I don't even know what "information" i need. This is really cumbersome, I hope I don't regret switching.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you know if you have a router separate from the modem? Is the modem a router itself?

Is this getting too technical already? :eek:

Feel free to IM me.

5. Doctorsti thread starter macrumors regular

No the cable modem is the router. No router yet. I am going to get a time capsule tomorrow but wanted to get things set up tonight. I have reset the cable modem 10 times at least with unplugging and plugging back in the mac or windows machine. Every time the windows machine acquires an IP and works but mac fails.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm not sure what to say then. The Mac should pick up its IP address via DHCP just like the Windows machines do. You can try manually assigning one with DHCP or completely manually.

Keep in mind I strongly suggest that you turn off your modem's own DHCP server once you have the Time Capsule on it and let the Time Capsule handle it.

Attached Files:

7. Doctorsti thread starter macrumors regular

I am on my extra large 24" screen now! Don't know why but in the Proxies menu in advanced it had "*local. 169.255/16" as an override to the settings. Not sure why as I just turned this thing on for the first time and never input a single keystroke. I erased that string in the override box at the bottom of the proxies tab in advanced settings and set all the stuff to automatic and restarted and ta da!

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I seem to have the same setting as well but I've never encountered a problem. :confused: