Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
So I am a Windows user, and I noticed I was running out of space on my windows partition. I resized the OS X partition down to the minimum, because I wouldn't be downloading anything on it any time soon. I am now unable to boot into Windows through Bootcamp, help would be appreciated. I would like quick help, as I am going crazy without my Windows features.

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
Over 100 views and no one will help, can someone PLEASE help me?

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
Since no one is helping, I called Apple Support. I will reply with a fix for future reference.

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
EDIT: Apple Support is a literal pile of steaming ********.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Yep, Bootcamp is your problem. You now may to have to reinstall Windows.
I've seen some third party tools in Windows that let you resize Bootcamp partition but it's not always a success. For many people the Bootcamp partition disappears.

What Windows are you running? 7 or 8.1? And what model Mac do you have?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
You'll need to backup your files where possible and reinstall Windows.

I had a similar problem after beta testing Yosemite last year. Inserted a new partition into the free space between OS X Mavericks and Boot Camp. It borked the boot information and partition numbering for Boot Camp. I know what I'm doing with Windows 7 (MS certified on deployment etc) and couldn't fix it without a re-install.

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
Yep, Bootcamp is your problem. You now may to have to reinstall Windows.
I've seen some third party tools in Windows that let you resize Bootcamp partition but it's not always a success. For many people the Bootcamp partition disappears.

What Windows are you running? 7 or 8.1? And what model Mac do you have?

I was running Windows 7 Ultimate N Edition, I believe my mac is an iMac Late 2013.

As far as I know, you cannot resize your Boot Camp partition. The only way to do so is remove Boot Camp, merge back into a single partition, and then re-create a Boot Camp partition with the new size.

I never even touched the windows partition though.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I was running Windows 7 Ultimate N Edition, I believe my mac is an iMac Late 2013.

I never even touched the windows partition though.
Doesn't matter. The moment you modify any existing partitions, whether or not you touched the Windows side, the partition table gets messed up (only in Windows 7 and non-UEFI installations of Boot Camp though).

UEFI installations (Windows 8 and above) of Boot Camp don't have this problem.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
yjchua95 is right, it's only a problem with non-UEFI W7. W8.1 is installed in UEFI in Mac and doesn't have a restriction on how many partitions there can be.
Non-UEFI or BIOS how everyone knows it, can only use and see 4 partitions.

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
So can someone help me get Windows back without losing my data?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
So can someone help me get Windows back without losing my data?
Yeah. Boot back into OS X and open the Windows partition from there. Access all your files and store them in an external drive. Then remove the Boot Camp partition and re-create the Boot Camp partition.

PS if you don't want this sort of problems to happen, use an OS that supports UEFI. Only Windows 8 and above support UEFI.

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
Yeah. Boot back into OS X and open the Windows partition from there. Access all your files and store them in an external drive. Then remove the Boot Camp partition and re-create the Boot Camp partition.

PS if you don't want this sort of problems to happen, use an OS that supports UEFI. Only Windows 8 and above support UEFI.

The Windows partition won't mount, so I cant access the files.
I use Windows 7 because I absolutely HATE Windows 8.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Boot to your Win7 installer, and run a startup repair.
Here's one reference for that: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm#step-heading
There's likely other, better methods that a Windows guy can help you with, such as doing a repair from the windows command line. (I'm not a Windows guy :D )

You need to try to get over your Windows 'hate'.
Soon, Windows 10 is on its way. That might be more comfortable for you...

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
Boot to your Win7 installer, and run a startup repair.
Here's one reference for that: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm#step-heading
There's likely other, better methods that a Windows guy can help you with, such as doing a repair from the windows command line. (I'm not a Windows guy :D )

You need to try to get over your Windows 'hate'.
Soon, Windows 10 is on its way. That might be more comfortable for you...
I was planning on upgrading when it comes out, i'll check that article out.

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
Does anyone know how I can get data off of that partition before erasing it?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you boot to your Windows installer, and try the startup repair - that may get your Windows partition accessible again. Then, if you still need help, you can use whatever Windows backup utility you have used in the past.

If you are not successful with the windows startup repair, then you may want to try some utility that is really good with repairing/retrieving windows partitions. Scannerz might be one choice for that.
Beyond that, contact a data retrieval service for help.

Neuer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
N/A
I found someone that can actually help me on a different forum. Go ahead and close this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.