Windows XP On Intel Mac Contest: Can You Get Windows XP Dual...

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
ohh $100 fancy :rolleyes:

The Contest
My MacBook is shipping on the 15th of February. I told my boss that this would replace my IBM desktop and I could boot Windows XP on it. I am still confident it can be done. I am pledging $100 of my own money and offering anyone else who would like the instructions on how to Dual boot these two operating systems the ability to donate some of their money into the pot as a reward for the person / group that can make dual-booting Mac OS X and Windows XP happen on an Intel Mac. Good Luck,

Colin
Hope your boss is the forgiving type

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I'm betting that someone will have a hacked version of xp running on intel macs by the end of this week (Saturday January 28th). Any takers?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Here, Here!

Fiveos22 said:
I'm betting that someone will have a hacked version of xp running on intel macs by the end of this week (Saturday January 28th). Any takers?
I'm in!

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Wow, nothing like a contest to motivate people to get XP on an apple computer. Would have been better if the prize was more, but whatever.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
What we need is an official response from MS. Right now the theorizing is all over the board. Does EFI have the compatibility module included? Or is it because Apple disabled UDF or El Torito volume support?
No one has a streight answer right now. What needs to happen is more of these Macintels need to ship into the hands of geeks. Once that happens and once there is a somewhat critical mass in geekdom results will start to happen. Right now x86 iMacs are scarse. . .MacBook Pros are nonexistent. It will happen one way or antoher even if someone has to write a compatibility driver for EFI to support such volumes and then create a bootloader that passes off startup to ntldr and from there loads Windows. It will happen. I have NO doubt about it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
SiliconAddict said:
What we need is an official response from MS. Right now the theorizing is all over the board. Does EFI have the compatibility module included? Or is it because Apple disabled UDF or El Torito volume support?
No one has a streight answer right now. What needs to happen is more of these Macintels need to ship into the hands of geeks. Once that happens and once there is a somewhat critical mass in geekdom results will start to happen. Right now x86 iMacs are scarse. . .MacBook Pros are nonexistent. It will happen one way or antoher even if someone has to write a compatibility driver for EFI to support such volumes and then create a bootloader that passes off startup to ntldr and from there loads Windows. It will happen. I have NO doubt about it.
I think this is dead on. It will happen, and it probably won't be very long.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
Ok so MacBookPro's don't exist yet, BUT there are tons of iMacs out there that have the intel chips in em..

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yes, but remember that a lot of those "tons" are in the hands of ordinary users, not "hacker geeks" :)

I think getting Linux to work will be the first step. It should be trivial to boot Windows from a Linux bootloader.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
my question is. what happens, when the inevitable happens (meaning, the macintels are running any windows variant) AND let as us mac "newbies" start plugging in their no name scanner or printer or whatever and installing drivers and everything. and it crashes "windows" or should i say the mac!?!

and would these people go complaining and say "the mac is unstable (and expensive)"?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Most people wouldn't buy a Mac to use as a Windows computer. Most people who need Windows would use Virtual PC or similar, as rebooting is a huge pain. With the current version of VPC, things like printing use the native OS X driver, and I expect it to work the same way in the Intel version.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
Nermal said:
Most people wouldn't buy a Mac to use as a Windows computer. Most people who need Windows would use Virtual PC or similar, as rebooting is a huge pain. With the current version of VPC, things like printing use the native OS X driver, and I expect it to work the same way in the Intel version.
I don't know about that... I think there are at least a few people in the same position this guy seems to be in- namely they see it as a way of getting a Mac at work. I know people where I work have talked about it.

Being able to boot Windows gives everyone around you the warm fuzzies-- much more than emulation does. They know you'll be compatible with the rest of the office...

It's more about being able to run Mac OS on your Windows machine than the other way around.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
ryanw said:
Ok so MacBookPro's don't exist yet, BUT there are tons of iMacs out there that have the intel chips in em..
Ton is relative though. Where are those "ton o' iMacs" going?
Most geeks can, and do, build their own computers. Not so with laptops. I expect that there is going to be more work done with the laptops then the iMacs. But obviously this is just a guess.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
The prize is now $622 thanks to donations and it will probably continue to grow.

aranhamo

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Nermal said:

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it too much :)
Last I heard, Microsoft was still kind of wishy-washy on creating an Intel-Mac version of VPC. And I understand that the PowerPC version will not run under Rosetta. So VPC may not be an option for people with Intel-based Macs.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
redAPPLE said:
my question is. what happens, when the inevitable happens (meaning, the macintels are running any windows variant) AND let as us mac "newbies" start plugging in their no name scanner or printer or whatever and installing drivers and everything. and it crashes "windows" or should i say the mac!?!

and would these people go complaining and say "the mac is unstable (and expensive)"?

FUD alert orange! Repeat we are at FUD alert orange! :rolleyes:

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I'll soon have my iMac, I wonder if I can figure out it's secret. Haha that would be an interesting way to pay off my iMac :p hahahaha :D

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Current Total: $878

This is after 1 day of being up. If this somehow gets to $10,000 (Doubt it.) I think there are going to be people out there who will take this very seriously. Hell a couple of Windows programmers could get into the act.