Windows XP on late 2008 MBP: No way to switch to Geforce 9400?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nawoo, Nov 23, 2008.

1. nawoo macrumors regular

I just installed XP on my mbp so i can use it at work and also play games like Red Alert 3.

I noticed after installing the apple drivers from bootcamp, that the only video card that is detected is the geforce 9600. The 9600 is more powerful, but it also runs really hot, making the top left hand corner of the keyboard really warm whereas the 9400 runs alot cooler in mac osx.

I can switch between video cards in OSX, but there doesn't seem to be an option for that in windows.

Anyone knows a solution?

2. MIKE666 macrumors regular

dont know for sure, but try uninstalling the 9600 drivers, and download the bootcamp drivers for the aluminium MB and try installing the 9400 driver from those drivers.

worth a try if it is a major problem for you.

3. zebbz macrumors member

i only use it for playing red alert 3 as well
    mine doesnt seem to get hot really so it doesnt bother me..
    i did however look for the option and didnt find anything to change it

4. cg165 macrumors regular

It's not possible to use anything but the 9600m in windows. This could be changed later by a software update though, but as of now you have the option is OSX but not in windows. The 9600m uses more power so you can expect it to run much hotter. Think of the 9600m as you running vs. the 9400m as you walking. Haha sorry couldn't think of a better example.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Just make sure you aren't covering the exhaust at the back (eg. having it lying on your bed). Why don't you want to use it because it is hot?

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i think the bootcamp drivers were designed in that in mind..most people use bootcamp windows to play games/ do intensive stuff.

Anyhow..for your uses RA3 will be unplayable on anything but the lowest settings w/ the 9400, but run well with the 9600..so i don't see what the point would be anyhow lol.

7. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Same issue here, i also play RA3 the heat occurs when on a desk and on my lap, I don't have a problem that its running hot except when I want to play oblivion on my lap in the sitting room, it actually burns its so hot. Incidently yes the top left of the keyboard is hot on the top, the whole of the bottom however is all hot.

Problem is I don't think I'd actually want to run the 9400 to play games, guess its something Ill have to put up with and make a work around, a cushion on my lap maybe....... hmmmm.