windows7 only now . how to reinstall the osx back to the macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meaniebee, Jan 6, 2011.

1. meaniebee macrumors newbie

please help .
    i have a macbook pro here from my friend. but there's only one windows7 drive. how do i restall the osx back to the macbook pro .

i tried all the option and C key thingy . doesnt work .
    it all go to the white screen ...

what can i do now .. please help

2. Alpha.K macrumors member

You could back-up any important files, than format the hard drive before using the install discs that came with the Macbook to reinstall OSX.

3. meaniebee thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I format the hard drive ?

4. meaniebee thread starter macrumors newbie

i have already format the hard drive C:
    hold the C key still doesnt work for me ..
    what to do to install the os x now ?

5. driveparty macrumors member

driveparty

1. First you should have the Mac OS X Install DVD and put it to the MBP's DVD drive.
    2. Then restart the system, and when you hear the "tada" sound, press and hold the Option (Alt) key on the keyboard untill you see the drives to shoose.
    3. One of them would be Mac OS X Install DVD - you should point and click to that icon using either MBP's trackpad or the mouse, or just using the arrows keys on the keyboard and pressing Enter (return).
    4. Follow installer instructions.

6. meaniebee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks
    yeah i did that ... it just takes me to white screen ...
    there's only "windows" drive and "DVD" so i clicked the DVD one .. doesnt work...

7. meaniebee thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone . .please help ?

8. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

MBP should come with 2 DVD's. Install disc 1 and install disc 2.

Insert install disc 2... restart the computer, while it's restarting, hold down 'C'. This will boot you from the install disk. From there pick your language, after that, go to disk utility. From disk utility you need to reformat your HDD to OSX journaled (GUID partition)... then hit format... it will wipe everything clean, format the HDD. Next you can install OSX back to the machine...

You might be able to do it all without reformatting (it might do that for you) but you will def. need to reformat the hdd, I'm sure it's NTFS which OSX can't use but windows 7 needs. OSX needs HFS I believe it's called (which is the journaled version).

something like that <3

9. meaniebee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

10. meaniebee thread starter macrumors newbie

dont know why .
    the hold the C key thing is not working for me ..
    i only have the leopard CD

11. driveparty macrumors member

driveparty

This is strange behaviour if this doesn't work for you. However i don't use DVDs copying their contents (restoring) to the USB flash drive (this is faster than load from DVD). I'd recommend you to obtain a Snow Leopard install DVD and try to boot from SL. You can google around for SL install DVD image download (there are some), and burn it to the dual layer DVD using UltraISO, Nero or other Windows ISO/Burning utility (not the windows burner - it doesn't support Apple DMG image format).

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Go see a Genius at an Apple store, or call Apple and order the install discs. I'm not sure why it is not working as mentioned above.