windowz->macosx

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
is it possible to connect a powermac (osx) to a windows machine (xp) and do file sharing from home without a network?

i've heard of connecting two computers via ethernet to eachother but never actually seen it done...does it actually work?

i have lots of files that i need off of a peecee of crap to my new powermac :D

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
After you get the cross over cable (or a network setup) you'll need to connect the two computers via software. There are many ways to do this, but I recommend Samba. To do this, use the following...

First, on the windows machine, share a folder with your files in it. To do this, just right click on a folder and select Sharing from the menu. Name your share something without spaces, as this can cause problems and generally makes more headaches.

Next, figure out the ip address of the windows machine. The easiest way to do this is to just set the machine to an IP address. This can be done from the networking control panel under your TCP/IP connection.

Finally, connect to the machine from your mac. In the Finder, select Connect to Server... from the Go menu. Enter in the computer to connect to like this...

smb://ipaddress/sharename

For instance if the ip of the windows machine was 192.168.1.100 and the share was named MyFiles, you'd enter...

smb://192.168.1.100/MyFiles

Hope this is of use.

Taft

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Taft
After you get the cross over cable (or a network setup) you'll need to connect the two computers via software. There are many ways to do this, but I recommend Samba. To do this, use the following...

First, on the windows machine, share a folder with your files in it. To do this, just right click on a folder and select Sharing from the menu. Name your share something without spaces, as this can cause problems and generally makes more headaches.

Next, figure out the ip address of the windows machine. The easiest way to do this is to just set the machine to an IP address. This can be done from the networking control panel under your TCP/IP connection.

Finally, connect to the machine from your mac. In the Finder, select Connect to Server... from the Go menu. Enter in the computer to connect to like this...

smb://ipaddress/sharename

For instance if the ip of the windows machine was 192.168.1.100 and the share was named MyFiles, you'd enter...

smb://192.168.1.100/MyFiles

Hope this is of use.

Taft
You don't have to use the IP address, you can use the computer name as well.:)

PCUser

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2002
The easiest way to know what a Windows machine's IP is (without changing it) is to click "Start" and select "Run". Type "winipcfg". The window it brings up will tell you more then you need to know.