Wintel corporate buyers complain about Apple stunt

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
yea, imacs available now, but not the laptops...the laptops are on schedule for all the other core duo laptops

tell michael dell to shove it

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
"In truth, according to inside sources, Apple put a lot of pressure on Intel to ensure Steve Jobs could announce availability of the Mac based systems. This is unlikely to cheer up corporate Wintel buyers, who, as we revealed several weeks ago, are unlikely to get Dell machines until early February, and in many cases much later."

If this is the price that Intel paid for getting Apple on board, then so be it.

My heart bleeds.

I thought Dell was the number one PC manufacturer - they shouldn't have taken for-granted that Duo Core chips were automatically theirs. They should have used their weight.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
apple wanting the best they can get for their computers is nothing more then a publicity stunt, just because you didn't get what you wanted first? wow, grow up :rolleyes:

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
afields said:
*cue violin*
That would be the world's smallest violin :D With VERY Tightly strung cat gut strings for that high pitched whine that sounds like a blood sucking Ross River virus infested mosquito :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
"While it may be a big publicity coup for Intel and Apple, the chip company runs the risk of antagonising buyers of Dell and HP kit, and the corporate base is something to be reckoned with."

Ooh, scary :rolleyes:

I don't really care if companies can't buy Windows computers :p

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
mkjellman said:
yea, imacs available now, but not the laptops...the laptops are on schedule for all the other core duo laptops

tell michael dell to shove it
Hehe. Didn't even know the iMac was available but I wasn't exactly eyeing the iMac. :D

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
The apple laptop is available the same time everyone else is. No one has announced any intention to offer a desktop based on the duo except apple - no sales have been lost here and I think that this website is making mountains out of molehills. Truth be told how many business users really need the power of a duo anyway. The majority if people on dell's (using one in the hospital i work in to type this) literally just use them as terminals and the speed of the chip is not normally a rate limiting step. The advance of teh PC market is driven predominantly by gaming - there aren't enough high end business users to warrant the growth in speed that goes on in computer chips. Admittedly the average home user is doing more digital image work now and they'd probably like to start working with moving images to - now if only they could find themselves a good integrated package that came with the computer...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Stella said:
I thought Dell was the number one PC manufacturer - they shouldn't have taken for-granted that Duo Core chips were automatically theirs. They should have used their weight.
Mmmm, yeah.... I figure it looked like this to Intel: Apple is not the largest PC maker by far, and their market share of all computers sold is small. BUT, they sell high margin computers that tend to have more expensive processors and other value add equipment in them, and they are still among the top manufacturers by volume, even though they are far behind top couple of mfr'ers. Apple could very well NOT have sourced Intel. In comparison, the likelihood that this stunt will reduce the number of Intel chips in Dells by a huge amount over a long period of time is relatively lower, I think? Dell is not going away from the architecture platform. And while they CAN use AMD, Intel will have to do a lot more to piss them off before the shame outweigh the technical field competition between AMD and Intel....

That is, the overall opportunity cost / benefit for Intel seems to have been in favor of Apple, at least in my eyes.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Hee hee hee

SiliconAddict said:
Hehe. Didn't even know the iMac was available but I wasn't exactly eyeing the iMac. :D
Yeah, you're waiting for a PowerBook G5. When, oh WHEN will you come out with a PowerBook G5, Apple?!? I've been pining for one for the past two years and have made dramatic comments on MacRumors in my signatures!! I really and truly do have the cash on hand and I will plop the money down as soon as you come out with a PowerBook G5!! But for now I'm going to stick with Windows because it's so much better because OMG APPLE DOESN'T HAVE A G5 IN ITS POWERBOOK SO WINDOWS MUST BE BETTER QED!

Oh. Wait.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Wingeing comments from wingeing companies. So Apple got a bit of press, but wasn't CES a week earlier. Nobody stopped Dell from showing their prototype stuff at that show. AFAIK the Apple MacBook Pros on display weren't genuine production items (comments about battery life etc), even the pictures on the website were apparently doctored PowerBook G4s and Apple stole a march because it knew how too.

So Dell and HP sell Intel powered computers, but bet they moan about the prices of the chips all the time, but enter Apples' top branded laptops powered by Intel, loads of press and great press for Intel. If you were CEO at Intel who would you favour?:D

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
somewhat off topic but related. If the MacBook can't run anything but Vista, due to EFI implementation, what are the napa laptops from the other manufacturers going to ship with?

Frankly, I can't imagine large IT shops ordering brand new core duo systems en masse without some testing. Sounds like they are just bitching that they don't get to play with them for a bit. Cry me a river.

pth-webdev

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
right here
Inquire just tries to provoke

I read some of the articles that were related to the one this link goes to (e.g. the one about the response on Apple's Ad) and it seems to me that the Inquirer just chooses a point of view that provokes readers. The title
Wintel corporate buyers complain about Apple stunt
does not say who is complaining and who they are complaining to. So, some business buyers are at their precize point in their cycle to buy replacement notebooks. If Dell and HP would offer new models, then other business buyers would be complaining about current models being outdated too soon. It isn't even that any of those would consider buying Apple anyway, so what is the point of this article then? So I think the Inquirer just gave an example of why it is an irrelevant publication. Other articles only confirm this.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Stella said:
"In truth, according to inside sources, Apple put a lot of pressure on Intel to ensure Steve Jobs could announce availability of the Mac based systems. This is unlikely to cheer up corporate Wintel buyers, who, as we revealed several weeks ago, are unlikely to get Dell machines until early February, and in many cases much later."

If this is the price that Intel paid for getting Apple on board, then so be it.

My heart bleeds.

Dell has no weight in this issue. AMD couldn't produce nearly enough chips for Dell. There isn't a viable option other than to just be pissed.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
jimN said:
The apple laptop is available the same time everyone else is. No one has announced any intention to offer a desktop based on the duo except apple - no sales have been lost here and I think that this website is making mountains out of molehills. Truth be told how many business users really need the power of a duo anyway. The majority if people on dell's (using one in the hospital i work in to type this) literally just use them as terminals and the speed of the chip is not normally a rate limiting step. The advance of teh PC market is driven predominantly by gaming - there aren't enough high end business users to warrant the growth in speed that goes on in computer chips. Admittedly the average home user is doing more digital image work now and they'd probably like to start working with moving images to - now if only they could find themselves a good integrated package that came with the computer...
Corporate buyers want to get the longest life out of their systems. Some of them can't wait until March to place orders. If I had to have 10k system ordered by Feb and I wasn't getting a chip others were I'd be mad also.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Nermal said:
"While it may be a big publicity coup for Intel and Apple, the chip company runs the risk of antagonising buyers of Dell and HP kit, and the corporate base is something to be reckoned with."

Ooh, scary :rolleyes:

I don't really care if companies can't buy Windows computers :p

If Dell and HP took their marbles and went home, people would just buy low-end PC's with CoreDuo chips from other suppliers.

I do not see Dell and HP going around town and making ADVANCE $250,000,000.00 payments to each of several chip suppliers.

Intel came through for Apple. Thanks. At what Price I wonder.

Rocketman

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Everyone out of the pool, I think HP and Dell just **** themselves. <chuckles and snickers>

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I wonder if Dell and MS could do a joint venture with AMD, to get the better facilities so that they would be able to produce more. I'd like to see a all out battle between Intel/Apple and Dell/MS/AMD.
ethernet76 said:
Dell has no weight in this issue. AMD couldn't produce nearly enough chips for Dell. There isn't a viable option other than to just be pissed.