Wipe iPhone for sale or giveaway

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laimbeersux, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

I just have a quick question. I have heard in the past that when people give their phones away to family members, or sell their phones to other people, that the buyers have received text messages that were sent to the original owner of the phone. I am passing my iPhone 4 down to another family member, and would like to ensure that they do not get the text messages that are intended for me. How exactly do I do that? Do I simply unregister the phone on Apple.com? Or is there something else to it? I assume that I will have to restore to factory settings in iTunes as well.

2. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Bump, want to know also.

3. Powrie macrumors 6502

I think you need to take out the sim card and let them get a new one for the carrier they will be using on the line they have.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Turn off iMessage before you remove the SIM and then go to settings and erase all content and settings.

5. Laimbeersux thread starter macrumors 6502

I only have an iPhone 4 from Verizon, not sure I can remove the sim if it even exists.

6. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I'm on Verizon, does a basic restore via iTunes satisfy the need to wipe it?

7. Powrie macrumors 6502

8. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Just click erase all content and settings from the phone, it will make it like it was brand new...that's what I did and the guy I sold my phone to hasn't said anything about receiving any of my iMessages

9. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I would advise educating yourself before providing advice.

Verizon is a CDMA provider and doesn't use sim cards. Verizon iPhone 4/4S's do not have sim cards.

10. DannyTrose macrumors member

Wipe your phone by hitting "Erase all content and settings". To deactivate your current phone you would either need to activate another phone on the line, or call and have it deactivated. Activating another phone on the line automatically releases the old phone from your line.

Hope I helped ;)

11. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

There's no sim in the Verizon 4. Just deactivate the phone and then erase all content and settings like someone else said above.

12. Laimbeersux thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, so just to be sure I have it right:
    1. Restore to factory settings via iTunes
    2. Deactivate the phone via Apple.com
    3. Turn off iMessage just to be safe

Anything I'm missing?

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You'll want to turn off iMessage while its still registered.
    iMessage is a server side service and the problem that you heard about happened because the person still had iMessage associated with that UDID.
    Apple says that they've since fixed the issue but if you do want to be safe you'll need to turn off iMessage before anything else.

14. Laimbeersux thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, nice to get good info from people on the Internet sometimes. Usually it's filled with sarcasm and hate.

15. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Remove it from Find My iPhone?

16. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

It will automatically be removed from Find My iPhone after he restores to factory settings.