iPad Wirecutter: ipad mini retina is the best tablet of 2013

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Misskitty, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Random dude on random site says iPad mini with retina display = best tablet of 2013.

Well, I think the iPad Air is the best tablet of 2013. :) I'm just as right!

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

And he also said that the 15-inch rMBP is the best laptop, but adds that the 13-inch is just as great if you want something smaller. Same goes with the iPad, it's all about what size you want.

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I disagree, love my Air and I stopped reading where he said the Air is unwieldy. I can easily hold my Air in one hand.

5. quamsi macrumors regular

There's where they went wrong. Awarding the label "best tablet" to a device they've never laid eyes or hands on. :rolleyes:

6. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

And for how long? Unless you have wrists made of steel, the only way to hold the air one handes comfortably with the least strain, is by underneath like a pizza box.

7. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

This is one of those junk reviews that popped all around the web before rMini actually shipped, all regurgitating the same basic info. It's like shredding one review and gluing together pieces in random order.

Since Apple only makes one tablet and one laplet, no one can dispute this statement:

"iPad mini with Retina display is the best Apple tablet yet, and iPad Air is the best Apple laplet yet."

:D

8. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol laplet? Its true though.

9. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Let's not be ridiculous, the Air weighs 469g or 1 lb vs the Mini 331g or .73 lbs. I assure you my wrist are flesh and blood, and I'm a woman. We get that you prefer the Mini and that's great, but we don't need to exaggerate.

Eta..As for how long, hours...does that help?

10. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Im not exaggerating. Im just saying that, even though the air is only 25% heavier than rmini, due to the larger size, when using thats why it feels a lot heavier than it really is. That explains why most who find it too big, cant type it in portrait cause thats where it feels the most heaviest cause its so long.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I make no claims regarding one-handed use (I am not able to hold either comfortably for long), but I actually find the Air lighter in perceived feel since it is wider and the weight distribution is more favorable across two hands.

I found the mini (although technically lighter) to feel heavier since I had to use a narrower grip.

That, and you can rest your ipad air on your chest/stomach while lying down and still have the top half be in your line of eyesight, whereas the shorter ipad mini is too low.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

True. Though sweeping generalizations don't have any greater validity. :D

13. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

But what if youre in the mall or somewhere standing? One handing the air in landscape is much more strain than the rmini. The mini due to the smaller size, it feels like a keychain

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why are you trying to argue something that is inherently subjective? May as well stand in Baskin Robbins and debate vanilla vs chocolate...

15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

And what about when I'm writing or reading PDFs and could really benefit from the extra screen space?

16. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I get your point I really do but see, I'd never use my Air in the mall since I'd be shopping anyway, and I generally like to sit while I'm using it. At any rate I'm happy with my Air and I get that you prefer your Mini. We are all different with different needs. I'm just glad Apple finally sees that. Good day to you.

17. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Don't reply to her. She is a troll that comes up ridiculous scenarios to be different. It's annoying!

18. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Ok, gotcha. Good call. :)

19. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

She's created 28 threads in less than a month

20. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

True. People forget that there's not only weight, but also leverage. The combination of larger weight and longer lever arm make strain on fingers about 80% higher compared to mini, when holding in one hand.

21. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

"She" is actually a "he".

-I'm waiting for the thread, "What if I have the iPad air extended in one hand and a vanilla ice cream cone in the other. Which one will melt first?"

22. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

Not entirely sure about that but well, Ladybug did create a thread about a husband buying a MacBook Pro or something for him/her

23. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Me? Don't think so. You must mean someone else. :D

24. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

Ladybug
    macrumors 6502a

Hubby bought me an iPad1
    On the 11th, same day as the iPad2 came out. My husband purchased an iPad1 for me at the discounted price. This is my first iPad and I'm loving the portability of it. My main uses will be Netflix, the web, and as a Kindle replacement. Other than a few simple games like Scrabble, I really don't for see myself needing all the bells and whistles.... So my question is...should I even consider keeping this iPad1 or would I be nuts not to upgrade to iPad2 while I'm still within my return period? The processor speed on the new iPad2 is about the only thing that gives me pause, as I don't care about the camera and such. Thanks

25. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Ah yes, you are correct. Wow, that was a long time ago. BTW, that ipad 1 is still going strong,my son has it now. Think the He/She comment was referring to MissKitty though. Thanks