Wired says: OS 5.0.1 Update ‘Nothing Short of Amazing’ ...

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by cmeisenzahl, Nov 10, 2011.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

New iOS 5.0.1 Update ‘Nothing Short of Amazing’ | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    Good news if you’re one of the iOS 5 users who suffers from crippled battery life: Most early reports are showing that iOS 5.0.1 fixes the problem completely. “Frankly the difference is nothing short of amazing,” said Wired reader Donald Kuntzman, who downloaded the update on his Verizon iPhone 4. “To go almost an entire day without a change in the meter reading seems unbelievable. Where before I could almost watch the battery drain, now it doesn’t move at all.” Kuntzman noticed that the battery life on his iPhone degraded after the iOS 5 upgrade. He needed to charge his phone once a day, and always worried it would die before he had a chance to recharge it. He could practically “watch the battery drain,” but since the update, his battery level doesn’t seem to drop at all.
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/11/ios-5-update-improvement/

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

That certainly sounds amazing. Unbelieveable, even. Unfortunately, that's not the case with everyone.

3. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Definitely early, and questionable. We'd need much more data for a solid trend. I'm just passing the info along. ;-)

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have all my fingers and toes crossed!

On 5.0, I've noticed a slight improvement, but I'm still losing battery at a rate of 15% per hour with normal use.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

haha Yes, now they just made the image for battery charge not change at all. So everyone thinks the battery is still full charge. haha
    j/k

I personally don't have any problems with battery charge at all. Just lucky I guess.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

LOL. isn't that exactly what they did with the Antennagate issue. They changed the display.

7. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

No. They changed the display to fix incorrect reception, where the phone was showing better reception than it had.

8. vaugha macrumors regular

LOL. Good one.

9. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I've never had the faintest hint of a battery problem, but here's to hoping it lasts even longer now. :)

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

11. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Mine's coming through OTA. I'm holding off for JB purposes though. But it is rolling out.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

I just updated both my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 over the air using my Wi-Fi connection. Both went without a hitch. :D

13. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

He is on the beta. That's why his battery is not better! ;)

14. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

Well I did the update about 3 hours ago. Since then my battery has lost 34% (it was at 71% after the upgrade, now it is at 37%) of its juice.

I should have left well enough alone and not bothered with the update. I would usually not get to 37% until after 10pm.

15. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Massive improvement on my iPhone 4.

It's like being back on 4.3.3 again.

16. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Yeah, the battery improvement is ever so slight. It's still ticking down pretty quickly, about what my 3GS used to do. Oh well. Time to get a new battery pack.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

can't say that i've noticed any difference at all with the update. oh well.

18. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

An "amazing" update would add features, not simply fix what is broken. Every update fixes broken things, it just so happens that Apple really effed up 5.0 and the battery issue. The update is not amazing, its exactly what 5.0 should have been.

19. LastOneToKnow macrumors member

Just learned about the update via the forum here. Downloading the update now which is 798.3 mb. For those who are just learning about this as well I thought I'd post a copy of the software update details iTunes displays prior to starting the download. See below.

What I'd like to know is what other improvements and bug fixes are included. Appears the above items are just the ones Apple decided to make note of.

20. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

Why not do the OTS update, only 55mb verus 798 mb. Plus no need to hook it up to your computer.

21. LastOneToKnow, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

LastOneToKnow macrumors member

I'm downloading the full update via iTunes, so I'll be able to perform a restore of 5.0.1 to the phone if needed at any given point down the road. The OTA update doesn't provide for that as I understand it, so I'd need to download the full update at some point anyway.

22. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

What's even more amazing is how Wired can use their newly updated phone for a full 24 hours (or even 8 hours), then write an article when the update was only released 6 hours ago.

Over here! I'll take some of that kool-aid!

24. iamsilvermember macrumors newbie

Kiss butt article

Fixing what iOS5 is supposed to be is anything but amazing

25. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It was out in beta!