Wired: The iPhone 5 Is Completely Amazing and Utterly Boring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pittpanthersfan, Sep 13, 2012.

1. JesalTV Guest

People are starting to realise that a smartphone is just a smartphone.

But it is still a shiny new thing to most of the world.

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Good enough to forgive him for that iCloud hacking debacle. I really should be grateful though for the motivation of changing my dictionary icloud password to something a bit more secure.

I really wish this " it's boring" BS would go away. Personally I'd be pretty excited if I could justify spending $1k on my first iPhone.

3. Purant macrumors 6502

If you already had an iPhone though, it would have been much less exciting. (which is the problem for most people)

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I wonder if apple really is tired of the copycats, as pointed out in the article. If so, then apple doesn't have the motivation to create a radical new design. Why should they? It'll just be copied by samsung and the usual suspects.

One thing the writer didn't point out was that it's hard to change up the design of your os when you're entrenched. MS had to create something different for their mobile os, because they would've died or been relegated to obscurity. RIM will need something special for 2013, because they probably will die.

One thing I will quibble about: if I need my phone to bring excitement to my life, then I need to get a life. I expect my phone to do what I need and work with what I've got. Smartphones are supposed to be functional. If I need fun, I drink beer or have sex. :p

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

just read it.

Yeah he is right, its NICE.... though there is no real WOW factor with it.

When the iphone 4 was announced I was really excited about getting it, with the iphone 5 i'm just going through the motions of an upgrade instead of excitement of getting something new and amazing.

6. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I agree they can't change the design every year but I'm amazed that some say it looks completely different, I don't get it. It's basically the 4/4s but thinner and taller.

Apple has improved on a good design, yes NFC and wireless charging would be nice but I don't think they are needed. Especially the wireless charging. Besides someone is bound to come out with an adapter like the did with the 4s.

And in the end many are going to put a cover on it so all the hard work in designing the new look would be wasted anyway.

7. OSMac macrumors 65816

There was a time when every new Intel CPU release was full of excitement, those days are long passed. With Intel naming conventions now, you cant even tell which ones are new.

The same is coming for Smartphones, like your TV you'll have one, use it and not care about new models.

Still a long way off for many?

8. Purant macrumors 6502

Right...

http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2012/06/28/someone_is_coming_to_eat_you.html

This is the right attitude. What you described is the wrong attitude.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I would argue that Apple is too busy litigating to innovate. I think they are just getting lazy, with some amazing products they have hit the top but....Why should one "create something different" whilst they can get $$$ from patents and pull competitors products that compete with them.

The problem being top dog is that you get complacent... and boring. Look at Sony.

I think the missing factor here is Jobs, he pushed people to produce products beyond expectations, I am sure Enigneers/designers hated him at apple, cause when they thought the product was done, jobs would say that is not good enough, and hence we got some amazing products.

Now, his legacy products/designs are just evolving, the innovation comes from better manufacturing process and upgraded parts. Since his passing the Ipad/Iphone design have remain same, with upgraded internals.

10. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Wow, thank you so much for posting this. This is 100% exactly how I feel.

11. yegon macrumors 68020

That article is bang on. I really look forward to getting mine, it'll be a hefty upgrade from my old 4 in many departments, but it definitely doesn't have the wow factor of previous years. Not really a criticism, I've seen nothing across the whole landscape for a couple of years that's not simply an incremental evolution of everything we've seen before.

The S3? Brilliant phone I'm sure, but does it having a bigger screen mean it's somehow more amazing? Of course not, and I say that as someone who, ideally, wanted a 4.5" iPhone.

12. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

As someone who has an iPhone for personal use and a company provided android for work, I have a good bit of experience with both and whilst the 'specs' of the androids kick the iPhone in the nuts. The actual experience of the OS and the software is nowhere near as good.

Typing on the Android is a pain, I hate trying to select text to copy.

I never know what it's going to select, weither it will just seemingly randomly select a block of text and ask if I want to copy or delete it.

Web browsing on the android is equally painful, I have tried firefox, and opera, they made things a bit better, but it is still not as well executed as the experience on the iPhone.

Also, my Android frequently slows down, locking up the interface for a few seconds at a time, when I did was unlock it to make a call.

I have removed as much software from it as I can, but there is a lot of carrier provided junk that I can't delete.

That is just the tip of the iceberg, not everything is worse on android, something's are better, I like the customizable home screens and widgets, I like the quick access to screen brightness, I like the form factor of the galaxy s3, I would really enjoy reading technical PDF books on an iOS device that size.

They could have kept the resolution of the current 4, but just made it taller and wider, use ceramics instead of heavy glass, keeping only glass where needed (the screen) to save weight.

Right now, I am actually split about the new iPhone. I am happy with the speed of the iPhone 4, it is always snappy, it does everything I want it to, 32GB is enough space for all the music I want to carry with me.

I am also pretty adept now at fixing iPhones, I have changed the frame and front and back panels on mine, my wife's and regularly replace my friends smashed screens. So my battery is new and my phone looks unique.

I was set on getting the new iPhone just on the basis that my 2 year contract is paid off and I can get a new one "for free" (paying for it monthly). But I might have just talked myself out of it.

Maybe iOS 6 will have some code in it to make iPhone 4 run really slow and that'll force me to change!

I guess a multi-core CPU would make some functions much better.