Wireless base station advice....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by masterjedi73, Jul 31, 2010.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Anybody got a suggestion? My netgear b needs to go. Is the airport extreme worth the price?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on what you want in a router. Despite what people will say, I've never had any reliability or uptime issues with Linksys or Netgear routers that I haven't had with Apple routers. If you value ease of setup and integration, the AEBS is probably "worth it." If you want any kind of advanced features it's probably not.

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Tbh, I don't really know too much about the different routers. If anyone has time to outline some of the differences I'd appreciate it.

...and make sure your outline is inn correct form. I'm a teacher and i grade harshly. :D

4. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

then maybe you should look up heterographs for your next lesson :p

5. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Ha. I didn't catch that. Still learning to type on this iPad. I think the auto correct needs to be adjusted. Lol

Ok....I won't grade the outline. Anyone got any answers for me?

6. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

personally I don't think its worth it if you bought it new, but refurbished makes the price a lot better:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

I have a refurb myself for going on 3 years? We're couchsurfers (a hospitality exchange) and we have many, many guests that have used it and there have been zero problems with a variety of machines. Now my damned dsl modem is another story...I have to reset it quite often and usually reset the "shinywhitebox" at the same time. But I know its the modem and not the wifi because I've switched carriers (and well, countries for that matter) in the last year.

So yeah, the wireless base station is only as good as the modem its connected to. If that's working properly, your wireless will too. Now whether or not the price is worth it is up to you. I just know its worked flawlessly for several years. You might be able to find the same experience in a non-apple wifi, I really didn't bother looking since one of my macs is a super old powerbook g4 that won't connect to a lot of modems for whatever reason. If you don't have an old mac then this doesn't affect you.

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

+1 for both of these

My last upgrade I wanted a router with few bells and whistles, and good reliability. The AEBS fit my needs, and buying refurbished fit my budget. It arrived in pristine condition, and I haven't had any trouble with it of note. YMMV, but for me It does exactly what I need it to do and gives me no hassles.

8. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Extreme has a HD to backup to it wirelessly, if you don't care get express...around 79 bucks refurbed I love mine works in a 1000 ft radius.

9. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

that's not true. There is no hard drive on the extreme...you can connect a hard drive to it on the back and then have multiple computers access it wirelessly...but its not internal to the machine.

perhaps they'll be some integration the next time apple tv/time machine/exteme base station gets updated, but it doesn't exist in an all-in-one right now.

10. Osamede macrumors 6502

Not really. The Netgear WNDR3700 performs far better according to Smallnetbuilder.com , which is pretty much the authority in objective testing of wi-fi equipment. Even if they were the same price the WNDR3700 would still be a better choice.