Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Anyone know of a simple wireless charging option for car that is from a more established company than this?

I have good experience with this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754NDNT8?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

It did work with my 8+ and does with my XS Max with a Speck Grip case.
With Navigation, playing music and in bright daylight it may drop 1% per 30 to 45 minutes.
With screen off or even with Navigation at night or reduced brightness it does charge.

I like the easiness of taking the phone in and out and how solid it is.

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Check out Scosche or iOttie. Both make good products and I have been pleased with both.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Thanks for recommending the Scosche - the MagicMount Charge Vent is exactly what I'm looking for!

- Do the magnetic plates fit inside an Apple Leather Case for iPhone X? I'd rather not stick anything on my phone or case
- Does it charge through an Apple Leather Case?
- Does it charge via USB cable? I can't see any pictures of a real setup with the cable

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I will check tomorrow on the Scosche’s power supply. I have the dash mount. I want to say its a round plug, but don’t remember.

Should work through the leather case just fine. I have used the plates behind the leather case before and don’t remember any problems.

...Almost positive it is not usb, but a round plug as seen in the pics of the dash mount on Amazon.

SCOSCHE MPQHC-XTSP1 MagicMount Pro Charge Universal 10W Magnetic Qi-Certified Phone/GPS Suction & Adhesive Wireless Charge and Mount with Car and Wall Charger for The Car, Home or Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RX5VC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xbo5Bb8SZAV2S

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Personally I use a Pitaka aramid fiber case with their Magmount Qi charging mount at www.iPitaka.com, but it's pretty pricy combo.

Then I saw this today, was going to buy for my daughter, but turns out she plugs her phone into a Belkin Rockstar (lightning with aux out) and doesn't need one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9SV3L...olid=2112Y742IOU19&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Screenshot 2018-11-08 18.40.02.png

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Why would anyone want to use a magnetic wireless charger is beyond my understanding...
Use a magnet combined with wireless charging will increase the temperature of the battery even more... simple physics.
I would advise you not to. Just get a wireless charger that does not use magnets. There are plenty of them.

iKevinT

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Here’s a vent mount that I have but it’s not a magnetic mount. Very easy almost automatic phone in and out. Fast Wireless Car Charger, CHOETECH One Touch 7.5W Wireless Charger Air Vent Phone Mount Holder Compatible iPhone Xs XS Max XR X 8 8 Plus, Fast Charging Samsung Galaxy Note 9/8 S9/S8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQDHV49/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_G5w5BbEQZ65NA

I’m using it with an Arkon seat rail mount instead of the vent. The ball size is the same as the Arkon mounts providing a nearly endless choice choice of Mounting types and locations.

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Why would anyone want to use a magnetic wireless charger is beyond my understanding...
Use a magnet combined with wireless charging will increase the temperature of the battery even more... simple physics.
I would advise you not to. Just get a wireless charger that does not use magnets. There are plenty of them.

Hmmm. My launch day-purchased X still had 100% battery health as recently as Oct 5.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for recommending the Scosche - the MagicMount Charge Vent is exactly what I'm looking for!

- Do the magnetic plates fit inside an Apple Leather Case for iPhone X? I'd rather not stick anything on my phone or case
- Does it charge via USB cable? I can't see any pictures of a real setup with the cable

I have the initial version of this mount and can answer a few questions.
Note: they have updated the mount to include 2 set of magnets (above and under the charging coil), and en email from Scosche states that the magnets are 30% stronger.
I have ordered one and will let you know how it works

1) the plate does fit inside the leather case, but the Rev 1 of this mount won't hold it securely. I have a black leather case and just stuck the plate to the outside of the case, not optimal. My hope is that Rev 2 will work better.

2) it does charge through the case

3) it uses the 12v cig lighter. I guess there aren't many onboard (car) QC 2/3 usb ports?

As far as the "wireless plus magnet" thing, I've been using this mount since early spring 2018 and the phone has never gone into heat protection mode while driving long (8+ hour) trips, and according to the battery app is at 97% capacity.
So YMMV

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Anyone know of a simple wireless charging option for car that is from a more established company than this?

https://themagnetmount.com/collections/products/products/wireless-charging-mount

The idea is to put a thin magnetic disc on the back of the phone which allows it to be easily put on a vent-mounted magnetic disc (which I already do) but that vent-mounted disc now charges

Can't believe that company is charging that much. I got this one off Amazon and it works perfectly. Same exact thing at half the price. Had it over a year and no issues:

https://smile.amazon.com/Renbon-Wir...=8-7&keywords=magnetic+wireless+phone+charger

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I received the updated mount from Scosche. (https://www.scosche.com/qi-dash-window-mount-wireless-charging)
It's available in CD/DVD, vent, dash mounts.

This one uses a set of plates above and below the charging coil.
The phone (XS Max) seems more stable on this one, but the magnets are still not strong enough to install the plates inside an Apple Leather phone case. Which is disappointing.

It does however use a USB ended cord (comes with 12v cig lighter** adapter). Which is nice b/c I have a dual adapter that allows simultaneous 1amp and 2x 2.1amp charging.

I tried the mount mentioned above from Amazon, and its magnets are much weaker than the Scosche's. Definately couldn't hold the Max with the ring inside the leather case.

** do people still light cigarettes with these :)

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
...I tried the mount mentioned above from Amazon, and its magnets are much weaker than the Scosche's. Definately couldn't hold the Max with the ring inside the leather case....

My Pitaka magnetic Qi charging mount with Pitaka Xs Max case can withstand a Subaru WRX clutch dump at redline without dropping the phone.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014

I have version 2 with XS (not max) and Apple leather case.

1) I have the metal plates inside my case (and my wife’s XS with silicone case), and it holds securely. Maybe the extra weight of a Max makes a difference, but on X or XS-sized phones it works just fine.
2) yes
3) USB A on one end, micro USB on the other

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What you can't understand ease of use, just plopping the phone on the mount/charger and just popping it off, all without fussing with ratcheting spring loaded side clamps?

Funny, my iphone7 has been fine with two years using a Nillkin Qi charging case paired with their magnet mount.

What specific case/mount combo have you personally used that you had problems with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.