Wireless in and around the house works, but not so much in our gazebo, why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Aug 13, 2010.

1. a-m-k, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I am thinking a few things...
    1.) Being too far away from my actual house/router
    2.) An extra wall blocking the wireless signal.

On the pie shape I don't even get the little "dot" to turn to black when I am in the gazebo. Oh, you should know, or gazebo is like a apartment or second house in terms of how well it's built. My dad has been working on this thing for a really long time and it just keeps getting more elaborate as the months pass. I think the best way to describe it as a small appartment living room. It has windows, I am anticipating a question about that so I am putting in as much information as I can.

I am sure it's because of all the extra walls and or windows that could be blocking the signal. Sitting on the back deck is fine, just not out as far as the gazebo. Am I right, and how can I fix that, is it as easy as opening a window as far as it can be opened?

Thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get an extender or move the access point closer to the gazebo. Opening a window probably won't make much difference.

3. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

If the wireless signal has to go diagonally through wall it is like a wall twice as thick. Wireless signal don't go very well trough bricks or siding.

4. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you both, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking, but if I had to get extra cables, not a good thing. LOL. I live with my 3 year old niece, an almost 4 year old lab, and a maybe almost 3 year old boston terrier. Not a good thing to do right now. LOL. I'll just sit in the front or back yard. No big deal, I just thought it would be nice to have a little "quiet time" where I can sit in a nice quiet spot.

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

What kind of router. Maybe it's time to upgrade.

6. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

It's a Zyxel, but it's not that old. Not even 4 years at least.

7. banya95 macrumors member

8. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

How do you do that, and I am not sure I would do that. I am the "kiss of death" when it comes to that technical of stuff.

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I read something recently where there were 2 related families (2 generations) living next door to each other and sharing WiFi. The mother, I think it was, had the windows in her house replaced with modern ones that had all the UV coatings, etc. on them and from that point on couldn't share the WiFi.

Moral of that story is that maybe the gazebo windows are blocking the signal. Try opening the windows and see if you have any better luck.

11. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

A Wireless-N router could fix the problem, they have much longer ranges compared to the old Wireless-B/G routers (which your 4-year-old model is almost certainly one of them). Of course, to make maximum use of the range, your devices (computers, phones, etc.) need to support Wireless-N. Nice benefit of that is you get a big speed increase too.

My recommendation:

Airport Extreme for the house to replace your old router
    http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

Airport Express for the gazebo
    http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/sharing.html

Hopefully the Express would be able to pick up a useful Wireless-N signal from the house. Let's cross our fingers that the Wireless-N range improvements are enough.

If so, the Express can simply extend the signal to the gazebo area. This means that the area around the gazebo would be saturated with a wireless signal now.

12. Glueeater macrumors regular

For the love of God please do not pay for the overpriced-ness of an Apple router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...62134&cm_re=whr-hp-g54-_-33-162-134-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16833320023

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearc...3U Wireless router - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11

Can all be loaded w/ DD-WRT to become access points to repeat your signal essentially. It'd be at fractions of the cost and slightly more effort to do this. Tons of tutorials exist online to show you how to flash/setup networks.

13. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thanks everybody for the suggestions this far. I am trying to find a way that my sister and I could both be out there if we chose to. She doesn't have a mac.

Though, I do enjoy being outside. Thanks!

14. pscraig macrumors member

Get the router up as high as possible, like in an upstairs room (if there is a second story) or even an attic.

Higher gain antennas are also widely available.

I had a similar issue, signal wouldn't get to my screened-in deck around back. I put the router upstairs, along with a pair of 7dBi antennas, and can now get a signal across the street.

15. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

you do realize that the airport extreme is insanely overpriced right? this is more than 100 dollars cheaperhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124386

100 dollar premium is not worth it for something thats gonna sit in a corner and collect dust.just sayin

16. pscraig macrumors member

And the most infuriating thing about Apple Airport routers is no web interface-you absolutely must use Airport Utility to configure them. And even then, many parameters are not configurable.

At least give us an app for the iDevices to manage them.

17. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

thats stupid, what happens if you go to the routers ip address? are you able to install third party firmware? what about pc's? they dont have airport utility

i went on the airport express page and saw that is said you could"annihilate the competition in multiplayer games." on wifi. anybody else think that thats about as ridiculous as the 13inch mbp having "killer graphics?"

18. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Finally someone understands how ****in' expensive Apple Extreme is.

I think I can buy two good wireless routers with the amount I'm going to spend on an Extreme and still have amazing wireless throughout the entire house.

19. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

If I am reading the most recent posts right...

I'd need an Apple router. Not a good plan. I don't think my family would go for that one, if what you are saying to get me farther out with my wireless. I have to keep in mind that my sister has a wireless laptop, too and if she can't go as far out as she can now. I don't even want to hear her start it. I might actually be stuck with the router we have now. Oh well.

Just a little technological rundown in terms of machines...
    1 macbook pro (me)
    1 acer laptop (not specific of the model type. I don't know because I rarely am allowed to touch it. I don't care anyway. :))
    1 hp tower (again, something I don't willingly touch. Only because it's my dad's and he's a little freaked I am going to do something "stupid". (I've learned from my ways.)

20. Glueeater macrumors regular

I think you're completely misreading the most recent posts. You need a good router. Like the ones I listed. lol…

None are Apple. Don't buy Apple.

21. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Oh, but still... I will keep this in mind when our latest router goes out.

22. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

it doenst matter what router you get. if they provide wireless internet for one person they will work for the rest.

go for something like this

and get a couple of bigger antennas.

23. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

my router...

It's a NETGEAR. The Zyxel is something different. The Zyxel basically is the "internet" for us. If any of the lights are down on that, there is no internet.

Sorry guys. I just was re-reading this and saw that.

24. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

802.11g and n work better than b.

Dry walls do not attenuate 2.45GHz much, but insulation (with Al foil backing) will.

Glass, especially thermal glass, is a big reflector of microwaves (based on testing of 5.8GHz radar systems)

Putting the router higher up will not necessarily improve things.

High gain antennas will only improve signal levels in the direction that they have gain - they will *reduce* the signal all other directions.

Check to see if your wifi is transmitting on a clear channel, (use kismac, to see the channels that your neighbours are using and set the router to use a different one, note that only channels 1,6,11 are truly orthogonal).

Azathoth (RF engineer)

25. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k