Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMarino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Ok this is the deal. I have my ADSL router connected to my iMac 17inch 1Ghz machine. In it there is an AE card so that i can also use my PISMO PB which has a regular airport card. So surfing the web is no problem with both machines.
Im wondering why, when running iTunes, the iMac detects the PISMO, but the PISMO doesnt detect the iMac as a playlist. It also happens with iChat, the iMac sees the PISMO user with rendevous, but the PISMO user cant see the iMac user???

Are there any configurations that i need to sort out? When I use a hardware basestation there is no problem with the computers seeing each other, but then i dont get a normal internet address either, it reverts to 10.0.2.1 and 10.0.2.2 respectively.

Can anyone offer any suggestions, anyone experienced this?
Thanks,
MacMarino

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
So are you using a wireless router like the Airport Base Station, or are you hardwired into a regular router and then use your iMac as a Software base station?

In case you are using the Airport Base station, I have a similar setup (PowerMac G4 with AE and iBook with Airport). Haven't experienced the same problems you had, since rendezvous takes care of the iTunes Music share and iChat, etc.

When you describe the IP addresses that you gave - the first one should be the IP for the Base Station, then it should distribute an IP to the iMac and Powerbook - well in short, I don't know what's going on.

What OS, what versioin of Airport are you using?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I think I read somewhere that you have to turn the firewall off on all macs "downstream" from your computer that you are using to pass internet access from. Not sure if this will help at all though. Other things that come to mind are to look for info about the ports, I know iChat uses a seperate one; or maybe the sharing preferences in the system prefs needs to be changed. I don't know if you tried any of this stuff yourself, but these were the first things I thought of when I read your post. Good luck!

MacMarino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Im running OS 10.2.6 on both machines and have the ethernet cable going from the ADSL router to my iMac. I think that one of the reasons why it doesnt work is because my iMac is getting a global IP address when connected to the internet and then my PISMO is getting a local subnet address ie: 10.0.2.2. I use the iMac as a software basestation. I have a snow base station but i dont use it because i cant get a global IP otherwise for file transfering and so on.
I turn on internet sharing in the system preferences to share the connection wirelessly.
So im still not really sure what the problem is or what im doing wrong!

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
make sure you've got appletalk set to be on for airport on your PB - had a similar problem myself, then i realised that appletalk was enabled for my ethernet!

MacMarino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Tried but no go!

I checked it out like you said and it was already on. So there must be another cause why it doesnt work too well... I hope that 10.3 has lots of improvements especially to wireless access...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.