Wisconsin budget cuts lead to sexual assault reporting changes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Looking to cut hundreds of millions from the U of Wisconsin budget (there are dozens of campuses across the state, I am fond of saying Wisconsin is a college town), the governor has decided that sexual assault on campus is so inconsequential that the proper authorities have no business knowing about it.
    I am guessing this means the women on campus will be encourage to practice modesty. Burkas would do the trick. And guns, obviously they will have to carry deer rifles under their skirts.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

the guy is a real winner but Why would he do this? he is giving money to a for profit prison and if he does this there will be less customers for it. The people voted for him after he has almost bankrupted the state and now he is going to screw it up more. but this has shown republicans that tax cuts are not always good.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

4. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

This is the best troll you can muster? Yawn, try harder. Jezebel is such a half-witted rag.

----------

Probably because the UW system requested it, as it's redundant of the already-mandatory federal reporting requirements. I love when people weigh in on something they clearly know nothing about a topic other than what's been spoonfed from the left wing equivalent of WorldNetDaily.

5. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

The reasoning is circular. The UW requested the change because Walker is slashing their budget. They have had to do this for years, maybe decades, and never complained before that it was redundant. Now Walker is taking hundreds of millions of dollars away, of course they are going to look at ways to cut corners. Because they have to. Deleting the requirement that employees report witnessing assaults to their superiors was almost certainly not asked for and smacks of vile pettiness.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Why does everything have to be about "liberals"? Why not complain that Jezebel is a useless source of information and leave it at that? Anyway they published an update in a smaller font at the bottom of the article as an update. Given that the article ran yesterday, the update would have been after the OP read it.

It's about a page and mentions more than just campuses, as well as a wider range of violent acts than sexual assault. This is probably the most relevant section.
    http://clerycenter.org/jeanne-clery-act

The next item provides more detailed clarification.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Where is the citation where he states he is a fan of sexual assault?

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

He would make bush look like a slacker when it comes to debt

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed, I'd like to see that too.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

He looks like he is trying to create a coverup zone, where sexual assault can be buried, like Jimmy Savile, Rotherham, Bill Crosby.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Oh look, the hack Jezebel "reporter" doesn't want to apologize.

[​IMG]

Then again...

[​IMG]

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Ahh, Gawker. I guess they're apologizing now that the fervor is dying down, and they're losing page hits.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What would you expect? That is not a site for credible journalism. It is nothing more than a different flavor of Cosmo.

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Most likely the case.

----------

Well...I didn't expect anything, the OP felt it was credible. :D

It is better than some of the other rags linked here, AddictingInfo, Alternet, etc..

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

So is the OP going to rethink his life now?

Saying someone is a fan of sexual assault is a pretty nasty charge...

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not a fan of those either, but I abhor Jezebel even more than the two you mentioned. I could have clarified a bit better. I can live with that these sites have their own agenda. They annoy me when they're completely dishonest or ignorant due to lack of investigation, yet unwilling to retract claims.

Look at what I posted earlier. Even after they were called out, they left the article up and posted an addendum at the bottom in smaller font than the original article.

18. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I feel the same way about all of the Gawker properties. Unfortunately there are blogs and sites, on both sides, that lack journalistic integrity.

19. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Interesting title, OP. Bursting with sensationalism that is absent of reporting and purely editorializing. But given that your "source" was trash from Gawker, I couldn't expect any better of you. Or worse.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

And where is the OP...?

I would hide too if I made this inflammatory thread.

Blooger ≠ Journalism. People REALLY need to start learning the distinction.

21. Roric macrumors regular

I was expecting to see a thread about his comparing citizens exercising their first amendment rights to terrorists before one about eliminating redundant reporting requirements.

22. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is the line, from the quote in the OP that is what confuses me:
    What is the point of that? If you see something, just look the other way? This is not Jezebel, this is the actual document from Walker's office. Why the hell would he feel compelled to include that? That is the text that supports my inflammatory thread title. The AP story does not suggest that the university system asked him to go that far.

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Thread title has been changed.

Is now: "Wisconsin budget cuts lead to sexual assault reporting changes"

B