Wish Apple would buy Flickr & Dropbox

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Dec 21, 2011.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Not sure about anyone else but Apple is really missing a couple key features from their OS. Most notably what Flickr and Dropbox offer. It would be great to have them built in. I was and still am a MobileMe person and I really like the iDisk even though it is slow sometimes. I love Flickr. It's the go to place for me and photos. For video sharing, Vimeo is where it's at for me. Not a fan of Youtube for personal vids.

What do you all think? What do you find would be ideal? :apple:

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Steve Jobs tried to acquire Dropbox. But Dropbox declined.

Flickr is inaccessible in some notable market of Apple (read:China) . Apple won't buy it.

For sharing photos and videos Facebook is already doing the job.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

how can a company like apple not have the resources to just reverse engineer dropbox?

I never understood this. does dropbox have patents? i am sure apple engineers could figure it out. (well, then again, they did create mobileme, lol).

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

How can a company like Google/Samsung not have the resources to just reverse engineer the iPhone and iOS?

I never understood this. Does Apple have patents? I am sure Google engineers could figure it out. (well, then again, they are getting sued, lol)

:D

5. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I'm sure Apple can offer the services where they can. China is big yes, but I'm sure if Apple acquired Flickr it would change things a bit.

I don't use FB anymore. I actually disabled my account. I decided to do that because I wanted social networking, not a job managing my social network. :) Besides, FB has become too bloated for it's own good.

6. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

No, the last thing we need is a conglomerate to rise through Apple.

Anyways apple has better things to worry about, Windows 8 and Android's expanding marketshare.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, they kinda already had that service with MobileMe. It's called iDisk. And they're discontinuing it for existing users in June (not available at all for new iCloud users).

They also had picture galleries, and they're discontinuing that too.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Apple appears to be overtaxed as it is. It seems that expanding their infrastructure might be a good move as they continue to attempt to be everything to everyone.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Quite.

Apple has killed off the two best and most reliable features of MobileMe.

10. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I don't think they're overtaxed. I would like an all-in-one solution and Apple seems to be the best at it right now. The integration iDisk is/was in OSX and on the iPhone was an invaluable resource. I used it for private files for myself and work. Public files I used Dropbox. They really need to keep it alive or bring it back. I did not use galleries at all. I think I uploaded one video. I use Flickr and Vimeo for my media goodies.

Yup, I do agree. I was saddened to see them do that. Even if I didn't use Galleries, it was an option that was part of the "package" and worked as it should. Granted it's nice that I can publish to Flickr from iPhoto. Just wish Apple had these 2 key things in their plan.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What? :confused:

Apple is either not interested in or quickly losing interest in customers who:

Want a larger phone
    Want a smaller tablet
    Want a < $600 desktop
    Want a < $1,000 laptop
    Want a good desktop machine without a built-in monitor
    Want any kind of 3D screen in anything
    Want very high-end video editing software
    Want good optical video disk authoring tools
    Want any kind of Blu Ray playback, even

Does this sound like a company trying to be "everything?"

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I wouldn't want Apple to buy Dropbox because that would typically mean discontinuation of support for non-Apple platforms (i.e. Android, Windows, Linux). That's one of the strengths of Dropbox, is that you can access your stuff from anywhere.

That said, the premise of Dropbox is extremely simple (sync files everywhere) and Apple is already going down that road with iCloud. If anyone could replicate the easy experience of Dropbox (one of the things that makes it so great), it is Apple.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Hope Apple does not touch drop box. In my company, my employees depend on it daily. It works perfctly on iOS, Android and Windows. I am sure Apple would screw it up.:(

14. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I don't think Apple would screw up Dropbox. If anything, it would be great if they implemented something identical to it. That would be ideal.

15. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I believe that eventually iCloud will work as well as Dropbox for iOS/OSX users. Maybe by the middle of next year??

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I agree it would be nice if Apple could match the simple brilliance that is Dropbox.

However history teaches us that Apple and the Cloud are like oil and water.

That doesn't mean that Apple can't learn and grow, but something fundamental is wrong when Apple pushes out products with significant faults that are so basic, so easy to resolve, and yet Apple ships them anyway. (Antennagate)

The company I once held near and dear, has me wondering just what's up with them. I sure hope they can return to the greatness of the past, instead of focusing on pumping out vast numbers of iToyz, just for the money.

17. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Hell no they shouldn't.

They can develop their own version of Flickr and they better not touch Dropbox.

18. iVoid macrumors 65816

They already have iCloud infrastructure now. And they actually had iDisk as part of Mobile Me, which they discontinued.

If they had any desire to be a general cloud storage company, they wouldn't have discontinued their cloud storage product they already had.

Giving away free cloud storage won't really help Apple sell iphones/iPads, so they aren't likely to care at this point.

Besides, they've been getting further and further from the idea of user controlled folders and files anyway, so are unlikely to want a Dropbox type functionality in-house.

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Apple's "war on the file system" would destroy the usefulness of Dropbox and Flickr. Thank goodness they own neither.

Phazer

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I hope they never get dropbox and I'm glad the owners didn't sell when offered. I like Apple, but they are not open so I could only imagine them making it more restrictive / worse than it is. It'd probably look more pretty though.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Photobucket has worked fine for me and is a free app.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Quite. :(

23. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

So you want Dropbox killed?

The power of Dropbox is that it's platform agnostic, it's available on all platforms, if Apple bought it you can bet that they'd make it Apple ecosystem only.

I like Dropbox a lot for not selling out.

24. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

I think Steve tried buying dropbox out a year or two ago... And they refused to sell out...