Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pntblnk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2018
Nashville TN
...and kept them both!

Anyone who upgraded the the SS S4 and traded your previous S1-3 regret trading it? I dig my SSSG S4 so much that I’m hesitant to wear it to the gym and wish I had kept the S3 for duty there. Apple gave me $175 trade (5 mos old) and with buyers remorse I would easily spend $200 to not wear my SS to the gym now for fear of scratching it up.

The SSSG wears the Milanese band 90% of the time and I now think of it as my dressier watch. Similar to my BAW (before Apple Watch) days my Rolex’s were for dress / dress-casual but the G-shock took gym or outdoor work duties. The S3 aluminum bridged that gap and was my everyday all day watch without a second thought.

Reactions: dotzero123

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
When I first read the title I was thinking here we go.

You pose an excellent question and you my friend are not alone.
I met many customers in your position including myself.

You should have kept the S3 and S4.
The return on the S3 would have been far greater keeping and using it rather than dumping it off.

I have the S4 Nike and SBSS. Guess what the Nike is used for?

Keeping the S3 for a peace of mind and enjoy the hell of the gorgeous SS would have been a perfect situation.

Sorry for not sugar coating it

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
The DLC on the Space Black is one of the toughest coatings available. DLC stands for Diamond Like Coating. I don’t know everything about it, but you should read up on it, as it’s pretty interesting. The upshot is that it’s one of the hardest man-made materials around, making it very difficult to scratch. There have been plenty of reports from others on this forum that their series 0 watches still look good as new despite being put though some pretty tough conditions.

I’ve replaced my SS Series 0 with the SSSB Series 4, and I have no concerns about it getting scratched.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It's overrated. I tried it with two watches this past year: A Series 2 and a 3. Issues I found:
  1. I always preferred the newer one because it was faster/better.
  2. The auto switch never worked well when going from the 3 to the 2. The 2 would disconnect as soon as I left the house. Only a reboot - on the road - would bring it back. Annoying.
  3. Keeping two sets of watch faces, complications, apple pay, playlists, podcasts, daily alarms, etc. in sync manually across two watches was a royal pain in the neck. Swapping watches after I'd changed something on the other one was disorienting. I also started using the watch as my primary alarm clock. It's the best wake-up alarm clock ever. Different times for different days, set and forget, everything repeats weekly by itself. Incredible. But because I had two watches, I was back to switching alarms on or off manually depending on which watch I was wearing that week.
  4. Workouts didn't sync between the two, so the big modular complication that shows details of the last workout only showed the last workout I'd done with that watch.
  5. I had to keep two watches charged.
  6. I now had two watches depreciating precipitously. I hardly wore the S2 at all - so that was just wasted money. After about three years the battery's shot, the tech is dated and any watch is worth very little. Good reason for having just one.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I still have my S0 and find auto switch between that and my S3 works really well. The S0 sometimes takes a while to show accurate activity data but no data is lost so that’s not too problematic. I use the S0 for sleep tracking. Basically while one watch is on my wrist the other is in charge.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Yea I wish I kept my Porsche GT3 for daily driver after getting my Ferrari. Now I’d rather ride my Segway to work instead of driving the Ferrari. I even spent thousands of dollars on paint protection film so the car won’t get scratched. It’s inside the garage with a car cover on 24/7.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yea I wish I kept my Porsche GT3 for daily driver after getting my Ferrari. Now I’d rather ride my Segway to work instead of driving the Ferrari. I even spent thousands of dollars on paint protection film so the car won’t get scratched. It’s inside the garage with a car cover on 24/7.

Another futile car example comparison to tech. I think the point is, for what the value was given to the OP’s Series 3, they wish they would have just kept it as a back up watch for other occasions as mentioned, and used the space black Series 4 for other engagements outside fearing it will get damaged in the gym, ect. Nothing wrong with that logic.

Pntblnk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2018
Nashville TN

images

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
The DLC on the Space Black is one of the toughest coatings available. DLC stands for Diamond Like Coating. I don’t know everything about it, but you should read up on it, as it’s pretty interesting. The upshot is that it’s one of the hardest man-made materials around, making it very difficult to scratch. There have been plenty of reports from others on this forum that their series 0 watches still look good as new despite being put though some pretty tough conditions.

I’ve replaced my SS Series 0 with the SSSB Series 4, and I have no concerns about it getting scratched.

Is the DLC only on the new S4 or does that apply to the S3 also?

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
You honestly don't have to worry about the SBSS at the gym.. its the toughest thing around. The sapphire in particular is damn near scratch proof. Just be careful that the Milanese loop doesn't touch anywhere on the body

Reactions: yui4 and Pntblnk

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
You honestly don't have to worry about the SBSS at the gym.. its the toughest thing around. The sapphire in particular is damn near scratch proof. Just be careful that the Milanese loop doesn't touch anywhere on the body

I bought a used series 3 SS black which did actually arrive all scratched, even the screen! However it had been used with the milanese loop.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I bought a used series 3 SS black which did actually arrive all scratched, even the screen! However it had been used with the milanese loop.
I did too! Same thing, it's that band. It was sold to me wrapped and new but it was a re-wrap. Pissed me off so much. I had to use an applecare instance and I'll be re-selling the replacement. Such is life

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
I did too! Same thing, it's that band. It was sold to me wrapped and new but it was a re-wrap. Pissed me off so much. I had to use an applecare instance and I'll be re-selling the replacement. Such is life

I returned mine to the seller. So will this always be a risk if planning on using the milanese loop? Purchased another which has been described as mint but used with an apple sports band.

Soba1

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I’m thinking I’m going to keep my SB series 3 just for that same reason. I put the silicone sleeve on mine when I go to the gym. Now it’s between the gold or space blk

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I returned mine to the seller. So will this always be a risk if planning on using the milanese loop? Purchased another which has been described as mint but used with an apple sports band.
I may sell my AppleCare replacement. Without band. Interested? It’s still wrapped

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012

Why even wear a watch at the gym? Too much chance of it getting banged up on weight-lifting equipment. My gym, 24 Hour Fitness, has clocks on every wall, so the time is always there when you need it. I go to the gym to workout, not strut my Apple Watch around in the hopes that someone will admire me. Now running, that's different; I always wear my Apple Watch while running because it actually has functions that help with running: heart rate, GPS and stopwatch.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Why even wear a watch at the gym? Too much chance of it getting banged up on weight-lifting equipment. My gym, 24 Hour Fitness, has clocks on every wall, so the time is always there when you need it. I go to the gym to workout, not strut my Apple Watch around in the hopes that someone will admire me. Now running, that's different; I always wear my Apple Watch while running because it actually has functions that help with running: heart rate, GPS and stopwatch.
Huh? Use it for workouts and swim tracking. Plus playing podcasts and music without needing an iPhone.

You know it’s not just a watch right?
[doublepost=1539473322][/doublepost]
What do you want for it and where you based?
Brand new, AppleCare+ until 2020. $300 w/ LTE

Pntblnk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2018
Nashville TN

HIT with intervals. Set up on 60 second sets with 30 second rest / recovery periods. Intervals App to keep me on track and record my workouts.... Apple Watch has made a tremendous improvement in my workouts. And I never worry what time it is when in the gym....know it’s time for another set! ;)

Reactions: Rangers94 and nicho

Soba1

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009

Along with weightlifting I do cardio as well. Nice being able to change your music without having to take your phone out.

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Huh? Use it for workouts and swim tracking. Plus playing podcasts and music without needing an iPhone.

You know it’s not just a watch right?
[doublepost=1539473322][/doublepost]
Brand new, AppleCare+ until 2020. $300 w/ LTE

Dude I'm in the UK.. That is a decent price though for a new series 3 with warranty.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Not everyone weight lifts at the gym, And even if they do, it doesn’t mean the Apple Watch is guaranteed to hit any weights. The Apple Watch primarily is a fitness device and it’s made for environments like the gym. I still think for those who even do weight lift at the gym or for cardio, at least want the fitness tracking with the heart rate sensor and calories/steps. You have to remember, when you’re exercising, you want as much data as possible.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I still have my S0 and find auto switch between that and my S3 works really well. The S0 sometimes takes a while to show accurate activity data but no data is lost so that’s not too problematic. I use the S0 for sleep tracking. Basically while one watch is on my wrist the other is in charge.
This is exactly my experience AND exactly what I do with my S0.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014

Why? Hmmm let’s see. I can stream music through my Bluetooth headphones. I can initiate workout app to keep track of calories burned, heart rate, duration of workout..time in between sets. Take phone calls and message in case of emergency, all without the iPhone.

So my question is..why WOULDN’T you workout with the Apple Watch. I find it enhances my workout. Also, I have the SBSS and have zero worries of scratching it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.