Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bilba

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Apperently if you are a UCLA student/staff you can get the Powerbook for a really good price.

Last I checked 1999$ will give you the 1.25 pbook 15", you can also get applecare for only 99$.

The price is not the same if you go through the Apple store, which only gives regular educational discount.

I have never seen a better price for powerbook.

Any one knows if any other Universities offer similar pricing?

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Re: Wish I was a UCLA student--deep discount for powerbooks

Never wish you were a dirty Bruin :)

Krizoitz
USC alumni and forever a Trojan (#1 baby!)

haganah

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone know how the discount is received and if it's online so ahem students can take a look?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Originally posted by haganah
Does anyone know how the discount is received and if it's online so ahem students can take a look?

My understanding is they check with the school to make sure you're a student before they ship.

Oddly, I went to the store and entered UCLA as my school and came up with $2299 for 1.25 superdive.

BTW, same computer at UNC Charlotte is $2299.

klyau6

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2004
DC
same for University of Maryland. Boo. if it were $1999 here, that would be the pushing factor for me getting a 15"!

Migs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
Don't call it Frisco
I think you mean the 1 GHz 15 inch for $1799, and after applecare= $1999 plus $99. That is what it is at Berkeley.

It was nice beating the "co-champions" this year.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i WISH my school had deep discounts on powerbooks, but we just have the "standard" edu discount.

I attend the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Deep cuts in academic pricing have often been precursors to new products....

I expect that we'll see new PowerBooks shortly after the "tradein" program deadline passes....

Bilba

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
to make myself clearn...

As i said in my original post: the discount is not through the Apple store. You need to buy it through UCLA computer store. You can check it out online, but some prices are only given over the phone.

I tried anything thats in my powers to get the same price (not being a UCLA student myself) with no luck. The only way to get this price is if you know someone who is willing to purchase it for you (and give up the opportunity to buy one for him/herself.

I wish there was a way to do a pricematch with Apple... sigh.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm in the UCLA area. How 'bout if I enroll in a class, say in Ethics and Morality, just so I can get the discount. Then I'll buy a discounted PowerBook and sell it to a nonstudent, splitting the savings with the buyer. Oh boy, I'll be rich in no time!

mzlin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
The original poster is correct. The UCLA computer store occasionally has specials better than what you can look up on the UCLA-specific Apple website. You have to call or walk in to find out the prices. UCSD sometimes has decent specials as well, but they are not always the same. I am a UCLA student and a San Diego resident so I have been keeping an eye on these things.

Last time this happened was in the August/September 2003 preceding the announcement of the 15" Aluminum Powerbook. They were selling the 15" 1Ghz Tibook with Airport and Superdrive for $1999 with Applecare included! Even now nearly half a year later you can still get $1999 for that computer WITHOUT the Applecare on ebay. So yes, they are great deals, and yes, they do mean better things are just around the corner.

MacMike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.