Wish the iPhone firmware was non-destructive to my other media

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 61132, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 61132 Guest

Wouldn't it be great if there were two types of restore, one that clears the iPhone of all information, and the other restore just restores the OS and not the media files?

I did a restore today and it's taking forever to copy all my media back on. Not longer than it *should* on USB, but it's a pain having to wait while my 16gb of music is copied back on. Any comments? I submitted a feature request to Apple. I'm sure they are working on getting the iPhone to work right in the first place before adding new features like this, even though it is more of a feature for iTunes.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Back in the day, you used to be able to transfer an entire CD worth of music onto an iPod in 10 seconds. This is a feature apple removed to save money and space. It's called Firewire and hasn't been in iPods since 2004 I believe.

3. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

It's not FW. With my previous ipods, like the black 5G.. transferring music over the USB cable was super fast, just as fast as FW used to be back in the days.

I really cannot comprehend why USB is so freakingly slow with the touch/iPhone.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I might be missing something but you can do that now for updates: an update is non-destructive to your media.
    Guess they don't do non destructive restores because if the phone is so messed up it needs a restore it's safer to wipe it clean first.