Wish they'd made raw aluminum with black

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrcsh6, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

Wouldn't raw aluminum have been nice with black? No scratch drama! Several people saw the scratch issue coming. Anodized isn't a great idea for something that is going to get a little beat up by normal use.

Crappy little mock up but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

2. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

That would be nice it's like a throwback to the original iPhone.

3. jargon51 macrumors 6502

4. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I really thought about buying white and then swapping out the front but too much work and maybe risk. The white iPhone 5 looks amazing largely because of that raw aluminum but I don't think I'd want white too long.

5. jargon51 macrumors 6502

Well I got the black one on launch day from AT&T and it came out of the box with the usual nicks, scrapes and scuffs that some are reporting but what really ticked me off is a large scuff on the screen. Waiting on a white one in exchange from AT&T. Won't get it until mid-late October so I have the black one until then.

6. orange42 macrumors 6502a

7. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

8. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

How is it so hard for people to realise that raw aluminium would look just as bad?

Here an image proving so (a throwback to the original iPhone, if you will):

[​IMG]

Talk about your misinformed kneejerks. The real problem is the phones being damaged in the manufacturing process. If my iPhone 5 is damage free after being subjected to punishment from a car cup holder after taking numerous 40mph+ sharp turns then there is no issue here. If your phone really does scratch stupidly easily, you have a defective product and should get it replaced.

9. iorderediphone5 macrumors member

Sorry, Love the Black/Slate

I've had 2 black iPhone 5s now and none of them have these phantom scuffs

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I don't know where you live, but I also got a black on launch day with one little nick that wasn't a big deal, but rather, an omen of things to come. So I went to an Apple store Sunday morning, they had stock and I swapped it. If you're near an Apple store, it's worth a try instead of waiting. What happens if you don't get the white replacement by 10/21, will you go phoneless?

11. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

OP, raw aluminum would oxidize as soon as it's exposed to oxygen, forming a protective aluminum oxide coating. If this didn't happen, the aluminum would just waste away.

Anodizing is like oxidation sped up and intensified, producing a thicker layer than natural oxidation. So it's actually more beneficial to anodize than to just rely on natural oxidation (plus you get to put in color).

I think you meant to say why not just do hard anodizing, which would make it 10-20 times thicker. Unfortunately, this causes the color to be kind of an olive gray.

It would have been cool if Apple went with hard anodizing with black added in, but then this would have made the phone more expensive or cut back in features.

Buy the white one instead, like me. :) I've always gotten black phones but this time, I switched.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just have the slate color glass beaded off (kinda like sand blasting). I'm pretty sure this is how apple does it, any local manufacturing should do it dirt cheap.

13. jargon51 macrumors 6502

I was going to go to my local Apple store but they will only do a like for like replacement and I am interested in the white one now that I have seen what the black one looks like out of the box. AT&T has no problems with the exchange and switch of colors I just have to wait for it to become available. Good thing here is that hopefully things will have settled down and all product will be quality. As for going phoneless no. I have the black one until my white one arrives. Once it does I box it up with the pre paid shipping they already supplied and mail it back to them. Not a bad deal really.

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

My bad. I assumed you bought it from Apple, but I guess you got it from AT&T. Be patient, the white is worth the wait. As far as things settling down in manufacturing, mine was made in week 32(?) in August and it's perfect as far as I can tell.

15. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Yeah I like that look...black and aluminum would look great.

I got a white iPhone this time around, and I really like it. I know it'll get scuff and scratches, all of my phones have. It's a tool, use it!

16. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

No. It's still going to scratch. At least with the black you can fill it in and make it look a little better. Just because it's not colored doesn't mean it won't scratch and still look like crap.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

One of the leaked photos was actually a prototype with raw aluminum with black back but with white front panel (an oreo).

[​IMG]

18. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I'll stick with my black/slate iphone 5. Apple got the black one perfect IMO. I like the white as well, just not nearly as much.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Exactly. People here can't think straight.

20. jargon51 macrumors 6502

Nice...Yeah I can be patient, it does help that I get to use this 5 until the white one shows up.

21. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

When I clicked the thread and while it was loading I was like: "nah nah nah, the whole black i5 looks gorgeous". After seeing that picture I'm like :eek:

B E A U T I F U L

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

well apparently yours will be like that soon.. some people say theirs is already loosing color. ;)

glad mine is fine.

23. BowTheMan89 macrumors regular

Get a wrap

I understand people complaining about scuffs straight out of the box, but if you're rocking a naked iPhone i dont feel bad for you. if you hate cases like me, do yourself a favor and buy an Invisishield or Ghost Armor. People bitched about the plastic back on the 3gs, apple goes to to glass, glass breaks too easy, apple goes to metal, metal scratches.

cover your phone, whether its a case, or a shield type wrap, just cover it up. Things wear, nothing stays new forever, if you're that worried about the aesthetics of your phone, do everything in your power to keep it fresh.

24. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I usually cringe at these types of "I wish the new iPhone was A, B and C" threads, but this is gorgeous.

Would buy.

25. UFBoy2323 macrumors member

I love the new Black/Slate. Both color options this year give different looks other than just black & white. Apple did a very good job with the color combo's. Unfortunately, it seems like some people on here got some with scratches though :(