Wished they had a drop down to on/off wifi/bluetooth/airplane mode etc

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by aneftp, Oct 5, 2012.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

I think iOS is rock solid. IOS6 isn't a "big upgrade" compared to the jump from iOS5.

Wondering why Apple doesn't create an easy short cut to have a drop down menu to access bluetooth/wifi/airplane mode.

Of course, the pull down brings up the notifications. But apple can easily made a 2-3 finger pull down to access the short cut for bluetooth/wifi/airplane mode.

This has pretty much been a simple request for the past 4 years with each IOS upgrade on the iPhone.

Yes, Samsung has had this drop down on their Android phones for the past 2 years already.

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

They wouldn't even really need to have a separate gesture for the pull down menu. Just add a small line in the current notification pull down with a few toggle switches, similar to the weather widget.

I agree that it would be very handy...if you jailbreak your phone, you can already get this functionality.

3. frayne182 macrumors 6502

I would love that as well.

I mean I like how they put Bluetooth on the main screen in Settings, but this feature would be great.

Or the ability to even put on/off switches on the main screen or something. But notifications would be a good spot.

4. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Loved having this on my jailbroken iPhone 4 via SBSettings. Look forward to having it again.

5. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

amen...

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

Because they don't want you to have to toggle those settings. Wifi and Bluetooth can stay on without sucking too much battery, and airplane mode is only two clicks away.

7. frayne182 macrumors 6502

Thats one click to many.

[​IMG]

8. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Battery life isn't the only concern. A slow wifi connection may make the user wish to switch to LTE. Having to go to settings for this is cumbersome.

9. ReValveiT macrumors regular

10. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i often find, running around manhattan, that my phone is 'connected' to a wifi network (a commercial wifi network.

if i try to, for example, check email, i can't get in. so i have to go turn airport off, THEN i can check email, then later, i turn it back on.

with my jb'd 3Gs, and sbssettings, i swipe across the top of the screen, uncheck wifi from the dropdown options, and am good.

am genuinely enjoying iOS 6, and...genuinely waiting for a jailbreak... :D

11. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

I find that I don't need to toggle those switches too often anyway, and when I do, the current way of doing so is fine for me personally. I wouldn't want it in the drop down, so if they did add it; I'd like to think it would be optional and that you could disable it when you wanted to.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It's because that's an Android thing. Apple doesn't want it's users micro-managing their phone. True conversation with a former Android user.

"Wow my iPhone 4S has such great battery life compared to my last phone"

another another true conversation with iPhone user who upgraded to the 4S from an older iPhone

"I like the 4S but the battery kind of sucks"

Android users are used to toggles and a bunch of other BS so that their battery lasts. iPhones users expect good battery without having to turn off essential features.

13. frayne182 macrumors 6502

I have never expected good battery life out of my iPhone lol

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

That's why Apple added - but mysteriously pulled! - the 'use cellular when wifi unavailable' option in one of the later betas. I wouldn't be surprised if this made a comeback later.