With 5C you'll get less than last year.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wiesenlooser, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Here is the thing -if Apple had continued their strategy what we would have is a top tier 5s starting with 199$ in a two year contract. And in addition to that a 5 with reduced cost at 99$ which means 5C pricing.

The 5 is superior to the 5C. It has high quality materials and is thinner and lighter than the 5C.

I think it is a rather smart move for Apple business wise. They give their old hardware a new , cheaper housing and sell it at slightly reduced price with improved margins.

No doubt they will sell a lot and make a ton of money. But as an informed customer - it really feels like a rip off.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

This is nothing but trying to disguise your personal opinion as a fact. The market will decide this, not you or I.

Yeah, soft aluminum that easily scuffs is just so much more quality than steel reinforced polycarbonate. Also thinner and lighter is simply another personal opinion of yours thrown around like its fact. Not everyone wants a phone that thin and that light. Sometimes people might want a little bit of heft to their device and curved instead of sharp edges.

3. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stop drinking Apple kool aid. For years it has been the Apple mantra that premium materials like Glass, steel or alimunium is what makes the iPhone great. That the new version is thinner and lighter than the old.

Suddenly polycarbonate is superior? Media coverage says that the iPhone 5C doesnt feel cheep at all. But they also pointed out that the 5S (and also the 5) feel much more premium

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Apple has some serious gall to pull a stunt like this. Their margins are so high, they won't even sell an obviously mid-range, plastic phone for less than $550. For the 32 GB, it's $50 more than the 32 GB HTC One GPE, which is decidedly a more high end phone. It's puzzling as to why they did a separate line just for colors and no price drop. My prediction: next year they "learn" from the 5C (or they will say) and combine the color options with the next flagship, discontinuing the C range. I think they did it to entice colorful people, and also to announce two minor upgrades instead of one.

5. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

While i doubt that theyll discontinue the C it is a fact they could have just produced the 5S in every colour.

6. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I agree with the OP. An iPhone 5 seems like a better buy than the 5C. An option I may consider seeing as i've had this iPhone 4 for years now.

7. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

The 5C is thicker does that mean it comes equipped with a bigger battery? If so the 5C is the better choice.

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Phone specifications prove the OP is correct.
    Unless you think quantities are just preferences. :eek:

Also, iPhone 5's materials are more expensive and valuable than plastic. Most customers state they bought their iPhone 4, 4S and 5 because of the build quality, citing it as a differentiating factor from Android smarphones.

9. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

It's not a ripoff if your coming from a 4 or 4S. And as a new customer the 5C is a great buy.

10. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is a ripoff if you compare it to the last years. With Apples former MO you would have gotten an iPhone 5 at the price of the iPhone 5C.

11. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Am I missing something? What are you not getting with the iPhone C?

12. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Premium crafted high quality materials, thinner and lighter

13. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

This isn't said in hopes of pissing people off (honestly) but seeing people with color iPhones is going to look tacky and cheap in my opinion. I won't be able to take someone seriously at a company meeting when iPhone's are out on the table and one of them is a pink or blue iPhone. I'm not saying they're for kids, but boy they sure do look like it would best suit kids, no?

That or seeing someone with it will say they wanted a cheap iPhone over any other smartphone. (not that theres anything wrong with that).

Undoubtedly we'll see many people in the coming months sporting colored iPhones but this isn't like back in the day with iPod Mini's. This is suppose to be your day-to-day tool/device.

iPhone 5C: Either you were too cheap to get the 5S, too dumb to get the original 5 (which weighs less and made from better materials), or your parents got it for you.

14. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

So your assuming the materials are low quality? So all phones and tablets that's are not metal are low quality??

15. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

This. If i wanted cheap plastic I'd buy a Samesung phone.

16. Wiesenlooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

lower

Youll get less quality than you would have gotten with the plain iPhone 5 for the same pricw.

17. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

lower* (yes, for the most part)

18. zedzded macrumors regular

Or a 5C

19. iCole macrumors regular

You do get a better battery. Or at least, it's been optimized. Also more bands for LTE? And you get colors :) Who doesn't like colors? It will probably also be sturdier then the iPhone 5. But I agree that it's too expensive. It'll do fine but the 5S is the better deal.

20. Semester macrumors regular

Semester

It's worth pointing out that some things have actually been improved with the 5C. One is that you get a lot more LTE bands. This might not matter to people in America but for example in Sweden it means that you get LTE on all carriers. Further the battery life is improved.

I personally think I would prefer the iPhone 5 instead of the 5C at the same price though. Even given the addition of LTE on my carrier.

21. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

But higher than the competition?

22. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

True, I won't argue you on that point. But having only been on the iPhone path myself, and having used an iPhone 5, I feel it's so much lighter than my 4 and love the screen size. Admittedly the main reason i'd get the 5, or anything to push aside my 4 is that my 4 doesn't support LTE and I tether over 30GB's a month and 4G LTE will be a dream for me.

23. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know people still using an iPhone 3G (not a 3GS) and so I think most consumers don't care about A7 processors vs A6 or what have you.

I think the colors will be successful and plastic does not mean inferior either. Apple used plastic in their laptops for years. I think the 5S is a better buy because you get a more advanced phone but I think there's a market for the 5C

25. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

This sums it up nicely, apart from the fact the 5C isn't really cheap in a financial sense, in the UK price wise people in my circle of friends and at work were expecting £399, it's £469, quite a jump.