All iPads With a few hours to go: anyone still not sure which ipad to buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PalacePlayers, Oct 31, 2013.

1. PalacePlayers macrumors regular

I sure am not. Apple did an unbelievable job getting all that power in an iPad mini, but it also made it so much harder to choose between the Air and the mini.

I am a med student who carry my 1st gen mini everywhere I go at the hospital. I do not use it too much, but when I do it is certainly a fantastic asset. I also use my iPad for some DJ-ing and couch surfing, both of which the Air is superior at.

So with just a few hours until the Air is released I'm still not sure what to do.

What about you guys? Why are you getting in line for the iPad Air, or why are you waiting for the mini?

2. Aucun Express macrumors regular

After having owned an iPad mini for about a year, I gave it to my girlfriend not long ago. I will definitely buy the iPad Air, maybe tomorrow if there are stocks.
    Question is, which iPad Air... Black or white...

3. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

I want to see an iPad Mini Retina in person before I make a decision of which iPad to purchase. If the screen on the mini is noticeably better than an air. I will be getting it.

4. vazquez1085 macrumors member

im picking up a black air FOR SURE...im just NOT SURE what size or if ill be doing wifi online or wifi and cellular

5. Guitarpik macrumors member

Definitely a black air for me also. Just can't decide on storage.

I've had an iPad 1 since launch but I really think I'm going to want the next iPad so i want to keep my resale value as high as possible. No way I can get a 16gb though. I think it's between 32 and 64 for me.

6. tomms11 macrumors newbie

I'm getting the iPad Air.
    1) Larger screen
    2) Only $100 more for Air versus Mini
    3) Expected to be in far more supply

I plan to pick one up at my local 24-hour Walmart at midnight tonight. I hope they honor the $479 reduced price. If I can't get one tonight at Walmart, then RadioShack will hopefully call me tomorrow if they get any in stock at opening.

7. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Leaning towards the mini still. Will definitely try out the Air in store when I get a chance.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

This. I might be swayed after trying the air in store but I doubt it..... I think what I like about the mini most is its portability, the weight may be the same but the footprint of the mini is still a lot smaller. I love sticking the Mini in my coat pocket and going.

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I've narrowed it down the the iPad mini retina 32GB, just not sure what color. I think I have 3 weeks left to go.

10. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I say just get the Air. They're basically the same d*mn device, just 1.8" diagonal difference in the screens. And since it looks like the mini won't be widely available until Jan/Feb, by then the rumors will be ramping up for the next product, and I'll be over it by then. So just go ahead and get the Air now, and you've got a full year enjoyment until the Air 2/mini 3 comes along.

11. shadow puppet, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

I'm still on the fence. White/Silver 32GB Air I know. Wifi or Wifi + Cellular is the question. If I go cellular, I'd go Verizon because my share everything plan would only cost me $10/mth if I activate.

I've read pretty much every post here pro and con for getting cellular. Not having owned an iPad before, I don't know if I'd need it. I have wifi at home & work. I can tether to my IP5 if needed. Some say it will be too slow, yet the iPad Air sports up to 2x faster wifi. Others say tethering eats up data faster. Then there's peops who bought cellular but only used it a couple times. The safe route would be buy cellular but I'd prefer not forking over $130 + tax if I don't need it. Sure I could buy it and not activate the service unless I find tethering problematic.

Mah head hurts trying to figure this out.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have already made my mind up and I know exactly what I'm going to get. I'm getting the white/silver 128GB Wi-Fi plus LTE.

13. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

its a big difference in the overall footprint of the device. if you are looking for portability, the Air is still quite bigger

[​IMG]

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Buy now, try it and decide later to keep it or not.

The Sony Xperia Tablet Z is the closes Best Buy has on a kiosk when it comes to thickness and weight. I have held and handled it more times than I care to mention in the last week. :D

16. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

After seeing some reviews of the Air I am secound guessing my choice of going with the Mini. The size of the Mini and Air (to me) seems very similar. The "old" full size iPad was just too big for me, and while it was better to read on, it was awkward/hard for me to hold and play games. Most of the time the iPad will be using for gaming, looking at cook books, youtube/netflix and quick internet searches. I did not have any issue with watching video on the iPad Mini or the "old" iPad, so that is not a problem for me. While the size is (to me) dramatically different from the "old" full size iPad and the Air I am now forced to actually wait and hold the Air in my hand to see if I like it. I am still going to pre-order (if avalible) the Mini just incase it is the one for me. That way I do not have to worry about the limited supply that may occur. Now, after going to Apple and toying around with the Air after I get my Mini, I will then decide if I wan't the Air, and just exchange my pre-ordered Mini. If I really do want an Air after I get the Mini and they are not avalible, I guess I will be forced to return the Mini and just wait. No sense in keeping a decice when I want something else.

17. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I am going with the mini. My current iPad is pretty much restricted to home use due to its size. I think with the mini, I will be more apt to carry it around and get more use out of it.

18. urkel macrumors 68030

I definitely know which one I want. Next years model. Touch ID, A8/M8, 32GB Base storage, more memory, a more mature 64bit app environment, iOS7.X providing a better iPad experience. Ohhh I can't wait...

19. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

But then you're missing the RFID, 3D haptic screen and Apple TV integration and 128gb minimum of the iPad 7

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Water resistant, too! Kinda want one but I need 64GB internal memory and unfortunately, Sony doesn't make one that size (yes, I know it has microSD slot and I've actually got a bunch of 64GB microSDXC cards but for my purposes, I want at least 64GB built-in). Android tablet manufacturers have been complacent offering 16/32GB because Apple still hasn't gone for 32GB on their base model.

Darnit. I want the Mini Retina but it might not arrive on time. I think I might end up getting the Air by default. :(

21. aneftp macrumors 68040

Is the iPad mini even going to be on sale online tomorrow?

I do not see any mention of iPad mini selling over in Asia or Australia Apple stores.

22. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have an iPad 3 and am trying to talk myself out of getting an Air. I don't NEED it and could always put that money towards other toys. I had the original iPad and skipped the 2 because it wasn't that big of an upgrade to me. But the retina display came out with the 3 and I had to have it. The 4 came out and it wasn't a big enough upgrade to me so I skipped that update as well. Since I primarily use my iPad for email, surfing the web, and reading, the 3 is working okay for me, though it's a bit slow with iOS 7. Now clearly the Air is smaller, lighter, faster and supports MIMO so that is appealing. But none of those things are "essential" to me. If it had the touch ID and supported 802.11ac it would be a no-brainer for me. But it doesn't, so...

Oh, who am I kidding - I'm staying up until midnight and ordering an in store pickup for a 64 gig LTE model! Sigh...

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

There are rumors of preorder availability but if they have limited supply, I doubt it.

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

iPad mini retina pre order sounds like iMac 27 in fiasco again last year.

Apple didn't even make 27 inch iMac pre order available for 2-3 weeks after the 21 inch were readily available in store. Than there was another 2-3 week wait to get the 27 iMac.

So many people won't get iPad mini retina till late November and most won't get it till late in holiday season or even early 2014.

25. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

I'm done waffling. 32GB white/silver Verizon LTE Air. Not ever having owned one, it's hard to say. So I'm covering myself by having the cellular option. I must be stark raving spending this kind of money.