Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Depending on how entrenched you are in the Apple environment, I could see trying a Lumia. However you should change for windows, not because of iPhone problems.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If you don't have a Mac or other products to worry about, then I suppose the Lumia could work out for you. But let me say this, every phone has its own way of being damaged. Nokia phones aren't all of a sudden scratch proof just because the paint goes all the way through.

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Scuffgate?

I have a perfect iPhone 5, and so have my mom, sister, brothers, girlfriend, mother and father in law and a couple of friends!

If the "scuffgate" thing is making you consider another phone, then go and buy cause you don't want an iphone

U have a girlfriend and a Father/Mother in Law? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, seems like u are writing out of your arse.:apple:

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I'm interested in the lumia, but I'm not sure it's that much of a step up from the 4s. The low light photography looks great, as well as the special effect camera apps. But I'm pretty entrenched in the apple ecosystem with all the apps and iTunes Match, so I'd have to be sure windows 8 could match this

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Get whatever suits your needs most regardless of the brand. You have to be completely happy with your choice and nobody here can make that choice for you. We can share our own experiences though in the hopes that it helps you make that choice and that's what I'm going to do now.

Obviously I don't have a Lumia 920 however I do have a Lumia 800 and use it regularly as my second phone. I do like Windows 7.5 as it now stands and I think it's light years ahead of Android and very close to iOS. But where iOS still shines is with apps. There really is nothing really extraordinary available for Windows 7/8 (at this point in time and I'm positive that will change).

One concrete example is when I tried to find an equivalent app to Runmeter, the GPS running tracker/pedometer I use. I tried the most popular apps for Windows phones including the top rated app, Endomondo along with Runkeeper, the latter of which runs perfectly on iOS. Neither app could keep a GPS signal and would stop and start intermittently.

Aside from the apps, there isn't much else to complain about as far as Windows phones go. As for Nokia's Lumia line, I like them but even the Lumia 920 seems too unacceptably thick. My Lumia 800 is a tank compared to my iPhone 4S and will make my iPhone 5 seem downright tiny. Be prepared for that eventuality.

I can't really comment of the HTC 8X. I watched the HTC unveiling of this new phone and thought that it looked fine but there was just something not there and I don't know what that is. I preferred the Lumias.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I've said this before but I'll say it again: 99% of iPhone 5s are flawless and their owners love them. That other 1% are all here on MacRumors to complain. You cannot use this website as a judge of the quality of this phone. Go see it for yourself, and while you're at the mall, check out the Lumia & HTC as well and make an informed decision.

raam89

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
The Golden state
excellent choices.
But if the scuffs is the reason you want to try them, then it is not the best decision. I got a scuffed white iPhone but I went to the apple store and went over 4 replacement phones before I found the clean one. Yes, there have been many QC misses from Apple this time around. It is very un-apple. But let me tell you this. This iPhone screams! It's blazing fast at anything I want to do. pick what is best for you. I'm tied tight to the the eco-system and that is preventing me from trying other choices.For my needs, the iPhone suits the best.
After you pick yours, don't try to justify or defend your choice. Just be happy with what you have! :)

drbf

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I've said this before but I'll say it again: 99% of iPhone 5s are flawless and their owners love them. That other 1% are all here on MacRumors to complain. You cannot use this website as a judge of the quality of this phone. Go see it for yourself, and while you're at the mall, check out the Lumia & HTC as well and make an informed decision.

So true, thanks

macphin

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
this is an apple forum, for people who love apple products. this guy, doesn't give a damn about apple products and never considered to buy an iphone 5... he's just a provoker and I'm already fed up to see more and more people like this one on apple forums. if I could, I would ban all of them :)

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
U have a girlfriend and a Father/Mother in Law? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, seems like u are writing out of your arse.:apple:

I considered my girlfriends parents in laws and referred to them as such long before we were married! It all depends on the relationship.

People read way too much into things!

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
this is an apple forum, for people who love apple products. this guy, doesn't give a damn about apple products and never considered to buy an iphone 5... he's just a provoker and I'm already fed up to see more and more people like this one on apple forums. if I could, I would ban all of them :)

Thank you.

Apple is not a perfect company. Apple is not the brand for everybody. Every Apple product ever made has at least one glaring flaw, and the iPhone 5 is obviously no exception.

That said, this *should* be a place for people who can look past those things and still like what they see. For everybody else, there are other brands for you. Personally, I welcome honest discussion about Apple and its products. But it's clear that the vast majority of people considering Android or WP7/8 devices are doing so because of a certain need that Apple will never address. For some, it's extreme customization. For others, it's huge screens. Whatever the case, it is time for those people to simply move on. Not stay here on MacRumors and troll those who didn't suddenly have an "epiphany" like they did.

Now, let me be clear. I don't believe that the OP is the type of person I'm referring to. I think the OP has a false belief that Nokia and HTC are immune to the same potential manufacturing flaws as Apple has been dealing with. An honest but misinformed point of view. In reality, every phone manufacturer is dealing with the same problem- high quality devices require lower yields and therefore cost more money over time.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I had an iPhone 5 for less than 24 hours and it got a chip in the aluminum. I assure you I didn't even leave the house with it and only set it down on a soft microfiber cloth. I have no idea how it got that chip so I think this is a real issue.

I am VERY interested in the lumia 920. I can't wait to try it out as an android alternative since I haven't been able to love android just yet. I tried.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011

Sorry, but I think you got my point!

English is not my first language!

----------

Btw, it is a common decision to go against someone when you can't go against their arguments!

:)

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I considered my girlfriends parents in laws and referred to them as such long before we were married! It all depends on the relationship.

People read way too much into things!

I got made fun of at work for calling my fiancée's parents in laws. What the hell else am I supposed to call them?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
If you received a scuffed iPhone, wouldn't it be simply easier to get that unit exchanged rather than switching platforms?

I'm not seeing how the issue would make you dump a platform you've invested in already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.