With AppleCare+, does Apple repair your actual phone and give it back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDustiNN, Nov 9, 2017.

1. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Or do they give you a whole new phone, and take your old one for parts or refurbishment?

I’m talking about damage claims specifically, not warranty claims.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It depends on the type and amount of damage, and whether or not they have the parts.

3. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

If they take it apart to do a glass replacement for example, does that compromise the water resistance?

I’m still trying to decide what to get... AppleCare, SquareTrade, Verizon insurance...

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If a Apple tech does it, it shouldn't be an issue. If another company does, it might be a problem. I would not entrust my iPhone repair to anyone but Apple. And if for some reason Apple screws up, they have a good track record of making things right.

5. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Last question... So they generally do it in-store, or would they send it out and make me wait?

6. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

The repair is completed in store. Remember that you get a year free of Apple Care coverage. If you opt for carrier insurance, they will send you a new or refurbished device. FYI: Apple Care does not cover lost or stolen devices.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

In store. If it’s just a screen crack they would fix it in store. If it’s other damage they just replace the phone on the spot. If you cannot get into a store you can call and ask for an express replacement. They will overnight you a phone and you ship the old one back. They charge you the cost of the phone and refund you once you send the old one back.

8. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

The free year of standard AppleCare does not cover accidental damage however.