With iPhone’s New FaceID, Cops Can Unlock Your Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tig Bitties, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Tig Bitties macrumors 68040

Tig Bitties

2. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Who cares. I doubt anyone on this forum is hiding anything that critical. You guys want to complain about everything.

Edit: Ahhhh Tig Bitties... should have looked here first. Makes more sense now. Move along everyone.

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

You miss the point of privacy completely.

4. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Apple has addressed this. If you are concerned you have two options:

1. Don't setup Face ID
    2. Simultaneously push the buttons on both sides of the phone (like while getting it out of your pocket/purse/etc) and it disables FaceID until you put a password/passcode in again

5. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

6. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

I think you're missing one important part of your title, Cops Can only Unlock Your Phone with a valid search warrant. If the police office cannot show probable cause of a crime to the court then it is illegal for them to forcibly do this. Read up on the touch ID case and you'll see that there was a lot of legal steps that had to be done before the individual was forced to open his phone.

7. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Yeah, people who freak out about this stuff need to learn about the "fruit of the poisonous tree."

EDIT: Wiki link for the lazy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_of_the_poisonous_tree

8. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Press power button 5 times before getting pulled over, or don’t be an idiot. Wow, life is definitely tough.

Seriously OP, nice bait.

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I use a passcode.

You cannot legally be compelled to provide a passcode.

And, quite frankly, in a stressful situation who the hell is going to remember how you're supposed to disable Face ID.

10. Droidbricker Suspended

Droidbricker

Trumps America right here. If you don’t give up your rights you have something to hide. SMH.

11. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Haha okay. I just think it's not something we really need to worry about. Cops can take a look at my girlfriends nudes on my phone or my conversations about fantasy football with my buddies if they want. It's just a non issue. Cops could place your finger on your home button now if they wanted to.

12. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

some of the stuff you guys worry about amazes me. do you have run ins with the cops often? if so you may have bigger issues you should be worrying about

13. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Ridiculous post OP as Apple has already addressed this. Do you also worry about your significant other getting access to your phone while you sleep because of TouchID previously and now FaceID?

14. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I do not. But I also do not surrender my rights so willingly when I do.

It's not about hiding anything. It's about your legal rights guaranteed to you under the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, documents many people say they hold dear to them.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    You misunderstand the concept of privacy.

15. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Enlighten us all on privacy rather than just stating I don't understand it.

16. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Airports and other border crossings are an issue today, and the law isn't clear. Refusing to comply can land you in detention and your phone confiscated. Best to take steps beforehand, like removing sensitive/confidential data, etc.

It's also important to keep in mind that Face ID is not a security or privacy feature, it's a convenience feature.

17. TroyBoy30, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

then lock the phone or dont look at it. both are pretty easy solutions. why are you not worried about them forcing you to place your finger on touch id now?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/15/apple-iphone-x-faceid-disable-emergency/

a Court in Virginia Beach ruled in 2014 that while passcodes are protected by the Fifth Amendment, fingerprints are not. As a consequence, law enforcement officials in several other instances have placed suspects fingers on phones to unlock them. It's likely, therefore, that your face would be as equally fair game.

It is worth noting, however, that while law enforcement officers can unlock your phone without your consent, they can't search it without a warrant. Although it's hard to wonder how many will simply start scrolling anyway if they feel their cause is sufficiently just.

18. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Just close your eyes when they point the phone at your face

19. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

You don’t seem to value your or your girlfriend’s privacy very well.

20. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Privacy

In Constitutional Law, the right of people to make personal decisions regarding intimate matters; under the Common Law, the right of people to lead their lives in a manner that is reasonably secluded from public scrutiny, whether such scrutiny comes from a neighbor's prying eyes, an investigator's eavesdropping ears, or a news photographer's intrusive camera; and in statutory law, the right of people to be free from unwarranted drug testing and Electronic Surveillance .

The constitutional right to privacy protects the liberty of people to make certain crucial decisions regarding their well-being without government coercion, intimidation, or interference. Such crucial decisions may concern religious faith, moral values, political affiliation, marriage, procreation, or death. The federal Constitution guarantees the right of individuals to make these decisions according to their own conscience and beliefs. The government is not constitutionally permitted to regulate such deeply personal matters.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/privacy
    Absolutely.

The last time I crossed a border was in 1983 when I was 13 and heading to the United Kingdom with my parents and sister.

I have no cause to be anywhere near a border, hell I have no cause to be anywhere outside the Phoenix Metro area.

That said, I have other phones that can be used if I ever need to cross a border.

I will stand up for my rights, but I'm not going to be stupid over something like this. Border patrol wants to see a nice freshly restored iPhone 5 with stock Apple apps and no data - be my guest.
    Scroll up and you will find my post where it says I use passcodes.

I don't use Touch ID because they CAN force you.

21. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I am sure you are smart enough to see that it was just an example. I just think these things are overblown. Cops could do the same thing with Touch ID. They could also put a gun to your head and demand that you put in your passcode. I try not to worry about things I have no control over. As others have said, use a passcode or don't use Face ID. Either way, people can get access to your phone one way or another.

22. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

Does nobody realize they could just scan your fingerprint too? Jesus, you have to be a real moron to believe this is an issue.

23. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

then dont use face id. what are you bitching about lol

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

lol. Let them do it without a search warrant. Whatever they find is inadmissible in court.

And how is this any different than TouchID?

25. cnotes2019 Suspended

This is all really stupid. I use a burner phone for all my illegal activities so they can look at my other phones all they want LMAO