With LTE and considering everything, which one is better? Verizon or ATT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gusnyc, Sep 13, 2012.

1. gusnyc, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

gusnyc macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2007
    New York City
    Now that the iPhone 5 has LTE, which is the most convenient carrier in the USA? Verizon seems to have more LTE coverage than AT&T, Sprint is almost non-existent, but what about the prices, and extra perks, like the shared plans, or the FaceTime using LTE?

Is it possible to use the iPhone 5 as a hotspot with a share plan in ATT or Verizon?

Also what happens when you travel abroad. Is Verizon limited because of their HSPA instead of AT&T' GSM?

What carrier will (or would) you choose for the iPhone 5, and why?

Thanks for your opinions.

PS: (I am in ATT now, I would have to pay $250 to upgrade, but I am thinking on switching to Verizon and paying the penalty for canceling my contract with ATT, but still I want to consider my options. I think the inclusion of LTE changed the panorama a bit).
  2. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Well if you only have one smartphone the new verizon plan is a total rip off. It will cost you $40 for the smart phone and $70 for 2GB of shared data. Only problem is if you only have 1 smartphone you are not sharing it with anyone. So that's $110 plus fees to switch to verizon. I was thinking about switching to Verizon but that's about $40 a month over what I pay at at&t and I have the grandfathered unlimited and $5 text package. I have decided to go with the extra dummy line for $10 a month to get the iphone 5 (and every other iPhone coming) for the full discount price for an extra $120 a year on my bill.
  3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2010
    To be honest in my opinion LTE had become hype. The AT&T 4S holds very well against VZW LTE devices in my area. When VZW 1st came out it was faster than it is now.

I would be very satisfied if the iPhone 5 performed as well as my 4S without LTE. And yes my area does have LTE.
  4. gusnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2007
    New York City
    LTE in verizon

My only experience with LTE is with a Verizon iPad. It is really fast, and I found coverage almost everywhere.

My 4s struggles with AT&T in New York City. The service is better than before but I still get a few dropped calls every week. And the data speed is very inconsistent. I am not sure how Verizon will hold up when hundred of thousands of new LTE connections come to their network.

I also have an unlimited data plan from AT&T with a $5 message plan. I wonder if it is worth loosing it.

I will be sharing a plan with another iPhone and an iPad. Currently I have AT&T and Verizon LTE iPads, so I can go either way.

It seems both shared plans allow to use your device as a hotspot.

I just found out that the Verizon iPhone 5 supports GSM outside of the US (article on Wired).

With so many things to consider, it is hard to make a decision.