With my MacBook Air and iPhone, do I really need my iPad 2 anymore?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmk1974, Oct 10, 2011.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Don't get me wrong, I do like my iPad 2 Wifi 32gb a lot, but since I got my 2011 MacBook Air 11" a month ago, I find myself needing/using the iPad 2 less and less. I also have an iPhone 4 (with an iPhone 4S 64gb delivering on Friday) and was thinking...do I really need all 3 of these?

I definitely need the iPhone of course. But now when at home and on the couch, the Air can do everything the iPad can do. For travel, the Air isn't that much heavier to lug around. The biggest benefit of the iPad is the battery life on it (10 hrs vs ~4+ hours on the Air).

iOS5 will be out in a couple days which give some definite enhancements to the iPad. But I don't know...should I keep it even though it's not used like it used to be due to the Air? Or keep the iPad and sell the Air for a Mini maybe (though, not a likely scenario)? Thanks!

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

We don't know, do you?

Some people have all the devices and use them all, some people don't need both an iPad and an iPhone or both an iPad and a laptop. You're the only person who knows which type you are.

3. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

4. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I think your describe it perfectly...it is a very cool "toy".

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Way more than a toy for me. I keep all my most important docs on it, synced with Dropbox. I do a lot of reading on it as well and it works far better than an iPhone in consuming and manipulating information by virtue of the bigger screen.

And there's the simple fact that I just enjoy using the iPad. Never have to worry about battery life, no fans that spin noisily, no heat issues to think about. And I can pretty much hold it any which way in any position. I tried using just the MBA for about a month but it just couldn't compare. I was either worrying about battery life or it was uncomfortable to hold.
    If I had to give up one, it'd be the MBA. In fact, I have all three plus an iMac and the MBA hardly gets used unless I'm on the road.

6. MallCop macrumors 6502

Thought the same thing but when I sold my iPad 1 for my iPad 2 the 3 week wait changed my mind and the iPad is definitely cool to have around.

7. dread macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the same thing after getting my MBA but the newness of the MBA wore off and now I'm back to using the iPad again. Give it time and you will see. I'm running ios 5 and it really makes a difference.

8. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I do look forward to trying iOS5 in a few days. However, the iPad can't fully replace a desktop or laptop computer. I guess I'm just struggling with my having 3 portable devices at the same time. iPad is certainly better for reading books and so on though.

9. Skika macrumors 68030

IPad being a toy is really getting old. It all depends how the person uses it.

For some a toy, for some a tool which helps achieve important tasks daily.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

For me, there's no overlap.

I use the iPhone for calls and txting; and occasional email and web usage when away from the office and home.

I use the iPad as a great remote control for playing my music and videos at home; for casual browsing and for lots of gaming (the larger screen makes it a much better experience than the iPhone).

I use my laptop (MBP) when doing any work, or if I have any lengthy email or forum post to type (an on-screen keyboard is no substitute for a real, full-size keyboard).

If I HAD to get rid of one, it probably would be the iPad (can't work without a phone or laptop); but to be honest every time I come home and have time to myself, it's the iPad I'll pick up and play with, listen to music with, watch videos with.

11. robertpetry macrumors 6502

Well, it really depends on your usage requirements. I have all three and the Air is the newest. However it is the least used. I prefer everything on the iPad 2 except editing documents and composing long, complex emails. Day to day email, all web browsing, Netflix, occasional games, apps, etc... iPad 2 just does it better for me. And I don't need to edit contracts or proposals on the go very often. In an emergency I have logmein. So I really only carry the 11 inch air when I know I will need to edit documents.

But that is MY usage pattern. What is yours?

12. mopppish macrumors 6502

I would agree with some of what's been said.
    After the newness of the 11" Air wore off, I went back to using the ipad a lot more for casual stuff at home.
    With the Air, that's just my computer. It just so happens to be incredibly portable. The fact that it's almost as portable as the ipad doesn't suddenly make the ipad redundant. It's a different device.
    There's no question that having all 3 is a bit of a luxury, meaning only that if you're struggling financially, you probably shouldn't have all 3.
    Personally, I have the minimum AT&T plan for my iphone, no cable of any sort (just streaming netflix), no kids, a modest car, etc. You chose what your priorities are, and without question, I would rather have an ipad than 1 year of cable (which is probably around the same cost).
    The only thing that I'd like to do more of is make charitable donations.
    Clearly, if I have 3 Apple devices, then I have a little disposable income, so that would help ease the feeling of being a spoiled American a little bit. :D

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This should be a simple thing to figure out. If you aren't using it enough, sell it.

14. Badfoot macrumors 6502

No you don't need it any more.

Give it to me.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You're the best person to answer that question for yourself. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter. If you have to ask then you probably don't. I mean, if you really needed it then it should be fairly obvious.

16. molala macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/26.958; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Having all these apple products was never really about needs. Keep the iPad for a while, if you miss it/start using it again, then it's worth keeping.

17. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

No one needs an iPad, its just the want. I think you bought into the hype:rolleyes:

18. Jasmynp, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011

Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I bought an iPad 2, then sold it to give android a try. I bought a Galaxy Tab 7", then returned it. I bought a Galaxy 10.1 (I loved it!), then returned it to put the money toward a MBA 11". *Edit*: Oh and at some point in there I bought and returned a iMac. (Yes my husband thinks I'm crazy. I, however, feel one shouldn't stop until they have exactly what they want. Anyway...)

I just ordered another iPad 2 because I: 1. have the money, 2. Miss the extensive app catalog and the lack of buggy-ness, 3. Want a tablet. 4. Want a tablet that works along with my MBA (now that iCloud is about to launch.

So, it's all about what you want. Maybe do an experiment. Put it in a drawer for a few weeks and see how you like life without it. If you don't miss, it sell it. If you do, keep it. Or do like I did..sell it, realize you miss it, and buy it again. Can't hurt anything to do it that way.

19. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

3:00 PM
    *picks up iPad
    *puts down iPad
    6:40 PM

DAMMIT

20. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

No one "needs" an iPad. You didn't "need" one before they existed did you?

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No one needed to reply on MacRumors before it existed.

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

In my situation I decided Air + iPhone was enough. I will likely buy a Kindle Fire or iPad 3 for Instapaper/Kindle reading and games.

23. Alphaforcex macrumors member

I have all 3 (orig iPhone, iPad 3G, 13" MBA) and my wife has iphone 4 and Ipad2. If I have to choose one device to keep, I'll keep the iPad. That's the device I use the most. i need a phone but not necessarily an iPhone (but I pre-ordered the ip4s :)). The MBA is for programming and I can get by with a feature phone since I bring my iPad with me everywhere I go.

The MBA would do if it's a touch device and has long battery life. I use my iPad for video, gaming, web surfing, and email stuff. My wife feels the same way too. But like everyone says, only you can tell which device(s) you need and you'll be better off selling it if you don't find a good use about it.

24. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I used to have a 1st generation wifi iPad. It was awesome at first, but I found myself using it less and less because I found that I could usually only use it in situations when I can use my Mac instead (wifi hotspots).

I recently upgraded to the iPad 2, but I opted for the 3G version this time. Now I have an always-connected, ultra-portable computer that makes travel much more bearable. Essentially, I'm saying that a wifi iPad is not much better than a Mac (and worse in some ways), but a 3G iPad becomes a whole lot more useful as a device, especially if you travel a lot.

For me, bringing my iPad out and about, taking it out my bag and realising that I couldn't get online with it a lot of the time ruined the tablet experience.

25. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

I sold my MBP because I got the iPad 2 and MBP 13 is heavier to carry.

I have ios5 because I develop apps and ios5 for the iPad is SO SO amazing. It will make ur iPad experience much better because of the muti gestures. :) u will see tomorrow.

because of this, it's much better than the androiD OS eventhough I like android as well.

I love the iPad2 but u cannot do everything on it tho. But it does suffice what I like to do while being very mobile.

It's up to you and how u like to use your gadgets.