with new Data Plans coming, will AT&T now know we are tethering if we use MyWi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OceanView, Jun 2, 2010.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

With all the new data plan news today, I still haven't read anyone mentioning if this means that AT&T has a method to detect if we are tethering now if we use MyWi or the BenM hack.
    Of course it's all speculation at this point but maybe it will be incorporated into the new OS4?
    If that's the case, we may have to wait a few months to know for sure which method will work best.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We wont unless they start hitting people with overages :)

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Unless this 'tracking' functionality is built directly into OS 4.0 (hence maybe why AT&T is waiting for OS 4.0, given that tethering is possible on OS 3.0), I would say no. Data transfer is data transfer. People have been doing it 'illegally' for almost a year now, and no one has received any sort of punishment from AT&T, thus I would say we will still be safe.

4. scottuf macrumors 6502

+1. the tethering option will probably involve a new carrier file that allows for tethering. the current official IPCC doesn't allow it. JB is the way to go.

5. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

If this is the case, then those that are JB and tethering will have to stick with 3.1.3 or lower and will be unable to upgrade to 4.0.
    Maybe future JB won't be able to get around this issue? :confused:
    Hopefully that's not the case.

I was about to sell my iPhone and get a Text only phone until the new iPhone 4G, now I think I will just wait it out till the actual announcement.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

When I've tethered, and that was only for brief periods of time at an airport, my bill shows a different designation for the data usage while tethering. So, yes, I think AT&T can tell you are tethering.

7. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I still can't believe it has taken AT&T over a year to activate tethering, wow.

8. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm curious as to how you were able to determine that on your bill.
    I checked my previous online billing statements and they all show the same info.

CMB1 AT GPRR OUT

There is nothing that really differentiate where I used it and or if it was data only or Tethered.
    Maybe there is something you're using that I am not aware of.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This was when I was using the AT&T 6.0 Stealth hack for tethering. It showed something like wap.cingular (I forget exactly what) next to my data every time I tethered. I haven't tested MyWi to see if it shows anything.

10. scottuf macrumors 6502

exactly, which is why i changed my stealth ipcc to use "phone" for tethering and wap.cingular is just for mms, as in the original att ipcc. with tethering set to "phone" as the APN, to att it looks just like the phone is using the data for its own stuff.

set your "phone" apn type-mask to 49, leave acds.voicemail at 2, and set "wap.cingular" to 4 and you shouldn't have that problem again.

11. AWD iPhone macrumors member

AWD iPhone

No joke, this has been some of the best information I have read on here. I do NOT want to be charged for using MyWi, that defeats the whole reason for jailbreaking.

12. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

Where do you make these changes?
    Are these specific to the stealth hack only?
    Please let me know if there are settings that I can change for a JB MyFi app and Ben.M hack.

Thanks

13. scottuf macrumors 6502

THANKS!!!
    :D:D:D

14. scottuf macrumors 6502

no one ever searches!!! (don't worry, i'm guilty of that too ;))

Those changes are made in the carrier file (the .ipcc) Inside the ipcc payload folder is a file called carrier.plist (background- .ipcc is really a zip. change .ipcc to zip, unzip, there will now be a payload folder). inside the plist will be an "APN" section, and that's where you find the type-masks.

this applies to any ipcc (for ATT at least) and the Stealth ipcc is just those changes (except he changed the type-masks to make tether data go thru wap.cingular). i'm sure you can make the changes to the default att carrier file (on mac found in ~/Library/iTunes/Carrier Files - or something like that), but I originally started doing this with the Stealth, so just modified from there.

i don't use ben.m (which i think just makes these changes, plus some others for mms) and with this, i have no need for mywi.

hope that helps.

edited for clarity