With no bathroom breaks, poultry processing workers must wear diapers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, May 12, 2016.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

That's what you get for being an immigrant, right Conservatives?

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

But, but, but, freeeee market?

And, and, and, rriigghttt to work? Right?

If the workers don't like this inhumane treatment, then they can just leave and get another job, right? /s

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No. It's what you get for being an illegal immigrant. Close the border and you won't have people on assembly lines wearing diapers.

4. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

And we don't hold employers accountable for hiring them and incentivizing their emigration, the blame is solely on the worker.
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2016 ---
    Thank you for making my point. These companies that hire them, personal friends of yours or something?

5. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Hmm, so you're saying that violating the law allows for inhumane treatment? I think the Nazis, ISIS, and Sharia all advocate similar things. Hmm...

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I believe in putting criminal in jail...If you hire illegals you're a criminal.

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

What is a criminal? Should people be put in jail for blowjobs, as once was "illegal" in Texas?

In this case, yes the employers should definitely face consequences of the inhumane treatment of the employees.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You lack moral structure.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Clueless art thou. Here's a study that mentions companies obviously using illegals, and yet law enforcement doesn't shut the companies down in spite of laws already on the books that prohibit hiring illegals.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You're also a criminal if you speed and jaywalk. Which tells you how little weight that particular word should carry in an argument.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Did you just get that out of a fortune cookie?

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Confucius say...

14. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yet your auto reply to every one of these posts is to close down the border. Not to actually address the nuances of the issue.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

What nuances? We've tried for decades to fix the illegal immigration problem yet it continues to worsen. The only thing we haven't done is close the border. And it's the one thing that would work without question.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Conservatives don't support switching jobs though.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

all here who wine about illegal labor will whine even more when chicken and veggies go way up in cost without that cheap labor.
    actually it is down and good luck closing the border. the GOP keeps forgetting to pay the gate keeper.

18. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The fact I treat people worse than dogs isn't my fault. It's your fault for giving me the opportunity.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

1. We've doubled the number of Border Patrol agents. We've increased fencing and technology deployment and spent billions of dollars doing it.
    2. Even if we magically closed the border to all undocumented immigrants, fully 50 percent would still arrive through U.S. ports, including airports.
    3. There are approximately 11.2 million undocumented immigrants already in the country.
    Right. And, it's important to note that people from Asia are increasingly part of the undocumented population, outpacing Hispanics.

21. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Let's be clear, the real anger towards undocumented immigrants is because it's a convenient guise for racial discrimination and other forms of racism. Certain groups need their scapegoats; it appears that Muslims and Mexicans are the scapegoats, for the time being.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This has got nothing to do with illegal immigration.

Its got a lot to do with a business environment where an employer - any employer - thinks its a good idea to have people handling highly-perishable fresh slaughtered meat wearing a diaper full of piss. (Or worse.)

That displays an utter lack of respect for the human dignity of the people working for them. It shows a lack of respect for the people who will ultimately purchase and consume their products.

What do you think it would do to the retail price of a pound of chicken breast, if we were to institute labor, health, and sanitation laws that ensured meat-processing workers decent working conditions? If it raised the price a nickel I'd be amazed, and probably a lot less than that.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Have you ever been to a chicken farm? As concerning as your point is at face value, in practice, it won't make that much of a difference.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree. And, what conservatives don't get is that the problem is that we've worked for the last two decades to "secure" the border, spending billions for little effect.

Instead, the best predictor for illegal immigration is economics in the U.S.

What we need is a realistic, structural shift that legitimizes current unauthorized immigrants and funnels new migrants toward formal immigration systems so that U.S. officials can ensure some manner of security while dealing with obvious humanitarian and economic needs.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

did you mean democrats?
    http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-12/news/mn-3410_1_tyson-foods/2