With no battery fix in sight, how possible is it to get replacement at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoHo, Dec 27, 2011.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

I have one of the launch day 4S's (white, 64GB) that is having battery problems where I get 4 hours on regular usage.

It's dead by midday but I could usually get to a charger and give it some juice if I really needed to use it but I'm going to be starting a job in a remote area clearing brush and won't be able to charge it and was wondering if there is any chance I could take it to the Apple store and have it replaced for one that may not have the bad battery issue? Has anyone had any success doing that?

2. SandboxGeneral, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's your best bet: take it to the Apple Store and see if they will replace it. Some folks have had success in doing just that.

Have you updated to iOS 5.0.1 yet? That fixed the majority of battery problems for most people, including me.

3. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

You could take it in and they'll run diagnostics.

Also, to what Sandbox said. Some say that 5.0.1 was the start of the battery issues... so you never know.

4. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

I did update and it was really weird because the first charge was good. I was able to get 6 hours of usage which was a significant improvement over the previous 4 hours, but it only lasted that one charge. I tried letting it die then charging to 100% and still wouldn't work. It only worked that one time.

The nearest Apple Store is over 3 hours away so I wanted to see if anyone has had success in getting their phone replaced before I make the trek to attempt it.

5. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

had mine replaced twice for the same issue. 3rd one lasts 5.5-7 hours varying usage and a day of standby usually. Much better than before, this is with location/find my phone etc all on and several push/fetch email accounts. The other two struggled to get half that. The new one has 5.0 and the others had 5.0.1...so idk what the deal is

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you made any system adjustments to cut down on battery usage? Such as limit what apps can use Location Services? Turn off Bluetooth when not needed, etc...?

7. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I tried for a week tweaking things and turned location services off and set all apps to not give notifications. I don't use bluetooth so that's set to off always. Still doesn't get any better. I've tried all the random fixes that have been mentioned on this forum and nothing seems to resolve it.

Personally, I'm starting to think it's a hardware issue and not a software issue because if it was software I think Apple would have already pinpointed the problem and issued a fix.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Just accept it the way it is. After three replacements all with bad battery life, it was a waste of my time driving to & from the Apple Store.

They will fix Batterygate, the same way they fixed Antennagate, they'll happily take your money for the next new model.

It's as easy as that. Think of it as your monetary contribution to Apple R&D.

9. MagnusF macrumors regular

Have you tried restoring to 5.0.1 and not putting in an old backup. Just syncing everything you have on the computer.

10. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

Luckily I never had to deal with Antennagate since I stuck with my 3GS and never upgraded to the 4, but that was more of a hardware issue and they seem to think the battery problem on the 4S is more of a software issue, but I'm starting to think it might actually be a hardware issue because you would think they would have pinpointed the problem and fixed it by now if it was software related. They have top notch people working at Apple.

4 hours of battery is just abysmal and I hate complaining because Apple has always been really good to me but it's really becoming a problem, especially now when I won't be able to charge it midday at my new job.

----------

Yes. I actually got a new laptop for Christmas and started it brand new there and it's still the same problem. I'm thinking of just updating it from my old PC so I can get all my old stuff back (texts, contacts, etc) since that wasn't the problem.

11. rkeato1 macrumors regular

I get about 5.5-7.5 hrs depending on how I use it. One time I actually got 8! If I needed more and didn't have access to a charger, I'd get a battery case.

12. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that's a solution. But I keep my iPhone in an otterbox because I work outdoors and I can't use a battery case with it. I mean, I could, but there would be a bigger chance of my iPhone breaking. I regret not getting AppleCare+ but I just couldn't afford it at the time.